cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 Ethernet Port One Not Working

jackcarr
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use my Hub 3.0 as a modem to use a third-party router in the hope of a better signal.  I understand that for it to work correctly, you must use only one cable and that cable must be connected via ethernet port one.

Unfortunately port one hasn't worked for some time (there was a lightning strike right outside the road which also fried a set of WiFi boosters!)

I've tried a factory reset twice, but to no avail.  There's no light on the port, and when in modem mode, I use a cable I know works to connect to a laptop but get no internet.  Same for ports two, three and four (though they do have lights).  

I assume I'm going to need a new Hub?

Thanks
Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Jack,

Can you try the following:-

Test your hub ports with a known working  ethernet cable by plugging both ends into different ports.

For example you say port 1 isn't working so use ports 2 and 3, and then ports 2 and 4.

Each working port should light up, so you can select one of them to use for modem mode.

Now do this exactly as stated -

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port (apart from your non working one(s)), as only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don’t know about the Hub4, but on the Hub3 you used to be able to connect to any one of the four ports, the other one then just became inactive. Have you tried another port in modem mode?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM made it possible on the hub 3 to use any port for modem mode.

When you put the hub in modem mode wait a bit then power off for 2mins then power on with a laptop and unplug replug the Ethernet till you get internet. When you have it working try with your router.

If nothing you need a new hub

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Unfortunately I've tried using modem mode with each port and have tried the reset method a number of times, but still nothing!

In modem mode, the hub 3.0 shows a red light as expected, but will not give me internet via any port, no matter how many times I try.  I know the cable I'm using works!  

Could anyone from Virgin help please?

When I call, I'm simply told that the router needs a reset and then I'm hung up on.  Obviously this doesn't fix the problem.  Why is it so difficult to speak to someone?  

In both modem and router mode, I'm not getting an ethernet connection from ANY port on my hub.  Which means my wifi boosters, the only thing capable of allowing two professionals to work from home simultaneously, no longer work either.  

I definitely need a new hub.  

Thanks
Jack

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Jack,

Can you try the following:-

Test your hub ports with a known working  ethernet cable by plugging both ends into different ports.

For example you say port 1 isn't working so use ports 2 and 3, and then ports 2 and 4.

Each working port should light up, so you can select one of them to use for modem mode.

Now do this exactly as stated -

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port (apart from your non working one(s)), as only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work. 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

You are a king amongst men!

Using the cable trick, I identified only port four as working through process of elimination.  

Following your prescribed method, it worked first time!

I still think the hub is an issue given only a quarter of the ports are working, but thanks a lot for your help.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Even if only one port isn't working you need a replacement

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @jackcarr,

Thank you for posting on here 🙂

I am sorry that your Hub is not fully working with the ports.

I will send you a private message so we can arrange a replacement.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @jackcarr. I've booked an engineer visit so the hub can be checked/replaced as needed. You will find confirmation of the appointment via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed.

Please keep us posted with how that goes, or let us know if we can help with anything else.

Tom