cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 Constant red light

Scott-o
Tuning in

Hi all.

I have the m350 Fibre package with the standard Hub 3.0 in router mode. I noted a few days back that the light on the front is constantly red, and followed this up to find that it generally indicates that the hub is overheating. I've followed the standard advice. I have:

• turned the router off and gave it time to cool - I turned it off overnight.
  • made sure it is in a well-ventilated area out of direct sunlight - it has never been stored in an enclosed space and is out of direct sunlight.
  • cleaned it of dust - I did the outside; I haven't opened the hub.

The hub is cool to the touch and shows no other signs of overheating. The light remains red. My children complain of low bandwidth when I am in video meetings or streaming Netflix, and both complain of wireless dropouts when they are using their phones at home. All PCs are connected with cat6 LAN cables. Download speeds are what I would expect for my connection, but I'm concerned that an overheating hub is a fire risk.

How would I go about addressing this issue?

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Scott-o,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so we could have a closer look at things.

As we discussed, I've arranged for a technician to come and take a closer look at things, and if needed they may need to replace the router. I can't share the date/time of the appointment publicly, but you can check at your leisure via your My Virgin Media online account and manage/reschedule it if needed.

Let us know how the visit goes for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Two separate issues. I will flag for VM to comment on the red light.

Poor wifi is a standard feature included in the Hub3 at no extra cost 🙂

See this...

If it is a wifi only issue (is yours - are ethernet connected devices "stable"), then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

Post back if you want help or advice on those

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Scott-o,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you're facing some problems with your router lately and are continuing to experience a red light on it, even after following the standard steps that can help to alleviate the problem.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take some details from you to get this looked into and sorted out ASAP. Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks for that, @jbrennand. It's good to know the weak wifi coverage is a feature! It hasn't really been much of an issue as both my kids have desktops in their rooms, so I suppose it was just a coincidence.

I've been looking at more powerful wireless options for a couple of months now, but haven't got round to buying one yet.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Scott-o,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so we could have a closer look at things.

As we discussed, I've arranged for a technician to come and take a closer look at things, and if needed they may need to replace the router. I can't share the date/time of the appointment publicly, but you can check at your leisure via your My Virgin Media online account and manage/reschedule it if needed.

Let us know how the visit goes for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok Scott - good plan. When you have narrowed down you options, post back and folks will give advice and opinions on the choices 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

This has now been addressed - quickly, efficiently and with the minimum of fuss. It convinced me to upgrade my broadband speed at the same time. Admittedly, it did help that it was only a little more for the higher tier product!

I'd like to say that having lived in Japan for fifteen years I have generally been very disappointed in the quality of customer service in the UK. Not so with this issue.

Thank you, Zach_R!

Thanks for the update and we're pleased to hear the issue has now been fully resolved 🙂

I have passed your kind words on to both Zach_R and his manager to ensure he gets the recognition and praise his work deserves 🙂

If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob