cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 5GHz will not stay disabled

SLI69
On our wavelength

Hi, Has the Hub 3.0 recently received an update in the past few weeks as all my CCTV cameras have stopped working properly.  In the past I've switched off the 5GHz signal and the Smart WiFi Channel Optimization as it would interfere with them.  Lately the 5GHz signal keeps being turned on and no matter how many times I go into the Hub settings and disable it, a few hours later it'll be back on.  It's getting very annoying as when my cameras disconnect I get a notification every time.  Either the Hub requires another update to fix the issue or wants replacing all together in my opinion.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22

Client62
Legend

The Hub 3 in our case has Manual Channel wander every few days on the 2.4Ghz frequency,
but we also see reports of the same on the 5Ghz frequency as well as 5Ghz reverting to 20/40/80 channel width.

It is either the effect of Virgin Media applying a WiFi policy to the Hubs, or a firmware defect.

Could a workaround for a Hub 3 that persists in enabling the 5Ghz channels be to visit the Wireless Security
settings and change the SSID of the 5Ghz WiFi service perhaps just make it VMxxxxxxx_5G
so that when 5Ghz WiFi come back on it cannot be used by any of your devices.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@SLI69 wrote:

Hi, Has the Hub 3.0 recently received an update in the past few weeks as all my CCTV cameras have stopped working properly.  In the past I've switched off the 5GHz signal and the Smart WiFi Channel Optimization as it would interfere with them.  Lately the 5GHz signal keeps being turned on and no matter how many times I go into the Hub settings and disable it, a few hours later it'll be back on.  It's getting very annoying as when my cameras disconnect I get a notification every time.  Either the Hub requires another update to fix the issue or wants replacing all together in my opinion.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Past topics have suggested this is due either to a bug in the hub's firmware or the customer being opted in to VM's public wi-fi/hotspots. I don't know which (if either) is correct or whether it is something else causing the problem.

If you are running multiple cameras via wi-fi, IMHO, put the hub into modem mode and get your own superior networking equipment which you can have full control of and reliably set up as you want.

SLI69
On our wavelength
Just tried your idea of giving the 5GHz a different SSID, will see if things improve. Had disabled 5GHz this morning was back on this afternoon.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SLI69

Thanks for your response

Please do be sure to keep us updated on this and we'll investigate further if needs be. Thank you for your patience.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SLI69
On our wavelength

Hi, Hub 3.0 will still not permenantly disable the 5Ghz wireless signal.  I've now tried changing the SSID of the 5GHz so that it's different to the 2.4GHz as someone suggested, some slight improvement but all three CCTV cameras still disconnecting periodically.  I've not changed any setting on the cameras recently so nothing to do with them and they were working perfectly up until about a week ago.  It's very frustrating as I feel I may as well turn them all off as half the time I cannot access them by any means.

Hi SLI69,

Thanks for coming back to us about this, I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you, especially if you need the camera's up for security. 

I have done a little digging on my side to find out any further information about this issue and I have come across something 😁

We sent out emails about a change to WIFI channels back on 28th October 2022 explaining that we would be making a change to the WIFI channels, wherein both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz would be permanently switched on as we believe it has a better affect on WIFI performance and having one channel switched off caused more problems than it resolved. 

We also stated in that email that if you wanted to opt out of that WIFI channel change you could click on a link provided in that email, if you did not opt out by the 3rd November 2022 we would make the change. 

I am unsure if you can still opt out via the email if you can find it in your inbox, but it's worth a try. 

We would not be able to opt you out on our side manually unfortunately. 

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Megan_L

SLI69
On our wavelength

@Megan_L Thanks for that information Megan_L, that would explain why the 5Ghz signal will not stay switched off even after restoring factory settings on the router.  I've just gone through my emails from Virgin Media at the time you stated and I never received such email so that's why I was unaware of this.  Would you be able to switch the 5GHz signal off if I rang customer services as my Mobile Phone is the only device I have that can use the 5Ghz signal so I don't need it at present and like I say it interferes with my security cameras.  If not I suppose I'll have to buy my own router so I have control over what I need.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@SLI69 wrote:

If not I suppose I'll have to buy my own router so I have control over what I need.

You should do that as VM will just mess up wifi again at some point.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @SLI69,

Thanks for coming back to us and I am sorry you never received the email.

As my colleague Megan advised, we are not able to opt you out on our side manually unfortunately.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs