Menu
FizZzion
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 2 Modem Mode - Dropping every 24 hours

We currently have a Hub 2 in modem mode linked with the Asus AC86U router that has been working without fault for the past 8 weeks. WiFi has improved dramatically for all devices and range has also been improved thanks to the new router. (The Hub 2 WiFi is utterly disgraceful)

However, over the last week the Hub 2 has been "crashing" requiring a full power cycle as the internet drops out. A power reset seems to fix the issue after 15 mins or so and everything goes back to normal, before happening again roughly 24 hours later. 

I suspect that there is a fault with the Hub 2 as the router appears to be working fine. The Asus router is

brand new, not second hand and has been working fine since I set it up. It seems the fault is with the modem or external cable set up. 

I've booked an engineer but they're not coming from Virgin until May 6th. 

Is there anything I'm missing here? Are there any other checks I can complete? 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 2 Modem Mode - Dropping every 24 hours

I wonder if its a problem with VM rolling out new DHCP servers on their network and they are going to say use router mode for 100% compatibility.

Until it happens to someone with network experience and can get a managed switch with two ports VLAN then mirror one of them ports for a Wireshark of ARP ports 67and 68 we will never know the reason.

I bet if you had a PC with two NIC and did ICS to Wireshark the WAN IP that you would not see the drop.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
FizZzion
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Apologies but this is a little over my head. There must be some kind of change like you say as the setup was working perfectly fine, but now has this intermittent issue which is problematic to say the least.

Can anyone offer anything else I could try? 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, FizZzion,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connections issues with your broadband. I've run some remote diagnostics on your connections, and it does indicate that you are currently being affected by a local area fault for SNR issues ref#F008941139 and we are working to get this sorted as quickly as possible. The current ETA fix time is 20 APR 2021 10:55. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
FizZzion
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not convinced at all by this as the problem has been happening for the past few weeks. Are you sure that this is related to that? 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, FizZzion, SNR can lead to drops and disconnects, yes.

0 Kudos
FizZzion
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update. What causes SNR, whwr actually is it? 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SNR - Signal to Noise ratio basically explains how noisy a circuit is!

If you imagine a room with a lot of conversations going on - if you aren't focussing it just becomes a blur of noise.

Once you focus on a person and 'lock' onto them - even if they are talking at the same level as everyone else - you can still hear them and converse with them.

With BB you have power levels which you can almost think of as the 'concentration' level so it is easy to pick out your conversation.

Think of it as having a conversation (signal) and suddenly a car alarm goes off near you (noise)

Depending on the volume of the car alarm, you will be able to tune it out with varying success. If the volume of the car alarm goes over a certain threshold - then the SNR is too low and all you will be able to hear is the alarm and the conversation dies - in this case you lose connection!

Hope this helps. (It's how I understand it)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
FizZzion
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Massively helpful - I hope that this is sorted! 

0 Kudos