cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn wifi off

Junojac
Joining in

I would like to turn wifi off at night, This is not block it to certain devices - just plain old OFF, without turning the router off.

I understand that if we turn off the entire router off, it messes with the configuration, so ideally - keep the router on and turn the wifi off...

Think you hive mind!

47 REPLIES 47

@Andrew-G wrote:

I'm assuming from your somewhat unusual situation of three routers all on the same LAN that you understand the issues and know how to manage all the potential DHCP conflicts and NAT complexities. 

Yes, I do, from the Hub's point of view, there are two devices attached, each one with an IP address it's allocated. The two routers just see the Hub's IP as their default route. Apart from the VPN(s) between them, never the twain shall meet.

Not considered a strongly worded letter etc, might give it a crack, thanks 🙂 

@legacy1 wrote:
VM are like "please use are wifi!"

Credit where credit's due, part of the problem is the Hub's Wi-Fi does reach further than the BT router did 🙂

Not sure if there's been an update (I don't think there has) but I disabled both radios last week and they are still disabled.

The only thing I did differently was I disabled the 2.4 a few days before the 5.

I'll update here if anything changes,

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @RDF,

Thanks for posting an update on this.

Please do let us know how it goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

A month or so later and all still as it should be ...😁

RDF_0-1656500913629.png

The second update in as many days.

Lost connectivity this morning from around 00:15 until 01:10 - hub reporting uptime of 18+ days, so it didn't reboot during this time.

(Logs full of "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure" and "No Ranging Response received " messages.)

The VM WiFi did appear around 21:41 yesterday but disappeared again in the middle of the outage.  

It's still off, so not complaining, just posting the observation.

I've not logged into my CM since the last update, logged in today to find Wireless "enabled" 

This is strange, as I have an alert set if my Meraki kit sees the VM SSID re-appear, Meraki can be a bit tardy when it comes to the email alerts, but I usually get them in the end.

So I checked and the Meraki AP does not see the VM SSID, nor any hidden SSIDs with the CM MAC address.

Double checked using WiFI Analyser on my phone (stood next to the CM) and again, no SSIDs seen from it.

So it thinks both frequencies are enabled, but I see no evidence to prove it.

Not complaining, just adding an observation to the thread. 

I'm going to check the "disabled" boxes, for no other reason than it feels like I should.

RDF_0-1661172005332.png

Thanks for sharing the additional information RDF, we'll be sure to pass this to the team to look into.

Rob

As I saw your reply, I checked again and both are back "enabled" and now the SSID is visible. AARRGGHH

I'll try disabling 2.4 today and 5 tomorrow - that seems to work last time for a few months.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies this is the case. Please let us know how you get on. 

Cheers,

Ryan.