cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn wifi off

Junojac
Joining in

I would like to turn wifi off at night, This is not block it to certain devices - just plain old OFF, without turning the router off.

I understand that if we turn off the entire router off, it messes with the configuration, so ideally - keep the router on and turn the wifi off...

Think you hive mind!

47 REPLIES 47

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Junojac wrote:

My partner has cancer, and the consultant has suggested that we turn the wifi off at night, to reduce the radiation. There has to be a way.

Well lets see how fast VM turning off wifi at night but keep the hub on  takes to happen...

so your own wifi router will do this

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @serena_c

I have tried this with my Hub 3.0 but as in previous comments, they enable themselves again.

One person mentioned modem mode would disable them, but only allow one working wired interface.

What can you advise as I need two wired interfaces as I have one router connected for WFH and another one for everything else. Both provide onward wired and wireless so I do not need the Hub 3.0 to provide Wi-Fi and ideally do not want to buy another switch to sit between the Hub 3.0 and my routers, as I am already paying for the Hub 3.0 to do that job.

Can you help please? 

Thanks.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@RDF wrote:

Can you help please? 

If your going to tire your hands behind your back how can we help you? just use one of your router as the main router. 

Sorry?

Both routers are working exactly as they are designed to, the Hub 3.0 is not. I have asked for help getting the Hub 3.0 working in the way which was agreed upon at the time I signed up for the service. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@RDF Much depends on the placement of the two routers and the way they are setup.  If you can link one to the other by ethernet, then you could have the hub in modem mode, the primary router as the single connection from the hub (in modem mode), and the secondary router in access point mode connected by ethernet to one of the primary router's ethernet ports.

Hi Andrew-G many thanks for your suggestion.

As part of my home lab kit, I have VPNs configured between the routers so I need their outside interfaces attached at L3 to the Hub 3.0. Hence the need for more than one interface when in modem mode. 

I appreciate I could buy another device that would look after L3 between my routers and the Hub 3.0.

Do you know if the other VM Hubs have the same issues or if it's just 3.0 ?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its is double NAT what ever you do

At present, the VPN between routers 1 and 2 go via the HUB 3.0 (both outside interfaces addresses are assigned via the Hub DHCP service) so the VPN termination addresses are single NATd by the Hub. At present everything wired works perfectly.

The crux of my problem is I'd like to disable the Wi-Fi as channels 1, 6 and 11 are all in use. 

I could -
Change the channel on my Hub manually to the same as one of the neighbours (not very neighbourly when traffic increases)

Change the channel on my Hub to the same as one of my active networks ( a bit annoying ) 

Channel utilisation at present would easily cope in either situation, but one neighbour's VM router likes the idea of picking an overlapping channel which then increases the noise and pushed the non-802.11 interference observed quite high.

When I had a BT router I just switched Wi-Fi off and everything was tickety-boo - which is why I'd like to just do the same now.

When I signed up for VM I asked if I could just switch off the wireless on the Hub and I was told yes. I did not follow the question up with "will that stop me from using any of the four wired interfaces ?"

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Other VM hubs will be the same in the sense how modem mode operates.  In terms of wifi turning itself back on, that has been reported for both Hub 3 and Hub 4, and because VM won't 'fess up to known bugs and fixes, there's no way of knowing if and when that gets fixed.  You could buy an Ethernet only router to sit behind the hub in modem mode, although a cheaper option is probably a budget router with the wifi turned off. 

I'm assuming from your somewhat unusual situation of three routers all on the same LAN that you understand the issues and know how to manage all the potential DHCP conflicts and NAT complexities. 

You made an earlier comment about not wanting to have to buy another device because the hub should work; The only options you have are the hub in router mode with its wifi bug, or you have it in modem mode and buy a router to connect the other two.  If you feel strongly about this, raise a complaint demanding a one off credit of (say) £50 to your account to compensate for the defective performance of the hub and the inability to turn wifi off, and put that to a suitable router.  The complaint will very probably be fobbed off, but you can then reject the "resolution" and ask for a deadlock letter, and with that take the complaint to the industry adjudication scheme CISAS for an independent review.  Obviously that takes a certain amount of time and determination, you might conclude that it isn't worth the hassle.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM are like "please use are wifi!"