Menu
ghostofconvoy
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How to get a new public ip address, hub 3.0

is it even possible? i've had the same one for months. I know there is a way with modem mode but I don't have another router to try it with. Can VM assign a new ip if I call? Anything I can do when logged in to the hub? What are my options if I want a new IP address without having to pay for a new deal etc 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to get a new public ip address, hub 3.0

You can't get a new IP allocated by asking.

Going to Modem Mode will get one but, as you are aware, you would need your own router.

Your IP is dynamic and it could change if you left the Superhub off for some time but unlikely.

You would likely get a different IP if Virgin Media made significant changes to the network segment you connect to.

ghostofconvoy
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What does the 'leaving it for some time' do & what does it depend on that makes it likely/unlikely it will change? if the ip address is dynamic it shouldn't be this hard to change it :/ 

if i use modem mode for a few hours and then go back to router mode will the ip i have now be different? 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's all about the lease time issued by VM. If you switch the Hub off for a week, the lease will expire. IF (and only IF) a new customer is allocated your previous IP address, then you will be given a new one.

Using modem mode for a week MIGHT get you a new public IP address when you switch back to router mode by reason of the above explanation.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

ghostofconvoy
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's shining some light on the situation thanks

Under DHCP in hub I see lease time, set to 86400 seconds and then there is a list of connected devices under the heading 'Reserved IP Addresses'. The lease times show 20 hours and with each refresh it is going down.

What does this mean? if I leave my hub turned off for 24 hours wouldn't the lease expire and I get a new IP?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What you see is the lease time allocated to devices that are connected to the Hub (client side).

The 1 week lease for the public IP address (modem side) is issued by the VM server and is not accessible to you.

0 Kudos
ghostofconvoy
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's ridiculous. I have to kill my connection for a week to only have a chance of my "dynamic" IP address getting changed? i don't understand why the ISP can't just assign a new one if needed. If i get ddosed or my IP falls into the wrong hands it's great to know there's nothing VM can do for me. Why can't it be less painful to get a new IP allocated?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How would you get the ISP to assign a new one? It's automated at the VM server. If you were ddos'd, you can call them and tell them so that manual action can be taken by them.

What were you expecting out of the word "dynamic"?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ghostofconvoy wrote:
That's ridiculous. I have to kill my connection for a week to only have a chance of my "dynamic" IP address getting changed? i don't understand why the ISP can't just assign a new one if needed. If i get ddosed or my IP falls into the wrong hands it's great to know there's nothing VM can do for me. Why can't it be less painful to get a new IP allocated?

... so what you want to do is dump your 'infected', dynamic IP on some other poor, unsuspecting Virgin Media customer.

Your use of the IP is likely the cause of the 'infection' and, in my opinion, it's your job to see the IP gets 'disinfected'.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello ghostofconvoy

Just to add to all the good advice above, if you suspect any abuse to your IP originating on our network please report it How to report abuse

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos