cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Hub 5

Bencaw90
Tuning in

Hi,

So sorry if this has been answered previously I just can’t get my head around it,

I am on the Gig1 broadband bundle with the hub 4, I have seen tons of people online talking about the hub 5, I have a couple of questions, we have 5 people in the house all connecting with phones, we have 2 gaming PCs, used for streaming also, 2 iPads, 2 Xbox’s and 5 smart TVs, and sky with 4 mini boxes, we have slow connection in parts of the house, and 4 intelligent hubs around to help.

1. Would I benefit from changing to the hub 5?

2. How do I get the new hub, is it just the case of contacting the team or can someone do it here?

3. Would the connection be stronger around the property

Thank you so much for helping, I honestly cannot express how much I appreciate the support I have received via this forum.

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

waqyboy
Tuning in

Hi, Ben im also on gig1 and trying to boost my speed. Currently getting 1200Mbps send to the hub 4 but even in modem mode im limited by the 1 gig ports on the hub 4. My tp link router has a 2.5gb wan port so if i had the hub 5 i can potentially unlock the full speed. Theres others on here who have done this succesfully. Its a shame the hub 5 is on trial, customer services just keep saying wait till 2022, theres a few bugs that need sorting. Please Virgin hear our pleas and send us the hub 5s. I really wanna be on that trial. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

waqyboy
Tuning in

Hi, Ben im also on gig1 and trying to boost my speed. Currently getting 1200Mbps send to the hub 4 but even in modem mode im limited by the 1 gig ports on the hub 4. My tp link router has a 2.5gb wan port so if i had the hub 5 i can potentially unlock the full speed. Theres others on here who have done this succesfully. Its a shame the hub 5 is on trial, customer services just keep saying wait till 2022, theres a few bugs that need sorting. Please Virgin hear our pleas and send us the hub 5s. I really wanna be on that trial. 

Stobbsy74
Superfast

@Bencaw90 wrote:

Hi,

So sorry if this has been answered previously I just can’t get my head around it,

I am on the Gig1 broadband bundle with the hub 4, I have seen tons of people online talking about the hub 5, 

2. How do I get the new hub, is it just the case of contacting the team or can someone do it here?

1. Its not available to people already subbed to 1gig until sometime in 2022. People assume it will be jan 2022, but could quite be as easy be Dec 2022.

2. See 1.

3. By all accounts on these forums, the wifi coverage of the hub5 seems to be the same or worse than hubs 3 and 4, so probably not be any use for you. I have no experience myself as I dont have a hub 5.

If you want to get better wifi coverage, your best bet is probably put the hub 4/5 in modem mode and buy a 3rd party wifi 6 wireless router or mesh system as Virgin will always supply bargin basement hardware when it comes to wifi coverage as they can get extra revenue renting out wifi pods.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@waqyboy Its a shame the hub 5 is on trial, customer services just keep saying wait till 2022, theres a few bugs that need sorting. Please Virgin hear our pleas and send us the hub 5s. I really wanna be on that trial. 

The many bugs won't be sorted until the Hub 5 has been in service for a good while, and if you get one now, you are volunteering to have a product that isn't fully proven and is guaranteed to have faults.  The Hub 4 still has issues two years after launch and remains incompatible with the VM Connect app, the Hub 3 had problems for nearly two and a half years after launch, so the attraction of the Hub 5 "nnnooo....shiney...noooo...shiney" needs to outweigh the probability of a hub that has potentially serious flaws some of which may persist until Christmas 2023 or early 2024. It may also be worth noting that the Hub 5 maker (Sagemcom) don't have a long track record in routers or DOCSIS hubs.

By all means, put your hand up for one, but it will be no good moaning afterwards "it doesn't work properly". 

jem101
Superstar

@Bencaw90 wrote:

Hi,

I am on the Gig1 broadband bundle with the hub 4, I have seen tons of people online talking about the hub 5, I have a couple of questions, we have 5 people in the house all connecting with phones, we have 2 gaming PCs, used for streaming also, 2 iPads, 2 Xbox’s and 5 smart TVs, and sky with 4 mini boxes, we have slow connection in parts of the house, and 4 intelligent hubs around to help.

Thank you so much for helping, I honestly cannot express how much I appreciate the support I have received via this forum.

Ben

1 - Almost certainly not.

2 - Neither, it’s an invite only trial. As you are already on the 1 Gig provision, you aren’t eligible (yet)

3 - No it won’t. These ‘intelligent hubs’ you mention, are they the VM ‘pods’? If so then they don’t work at all with the Hub 5 so almost certainly, your WiFi performance will actually be much worse!

You don’t have the VM landline phone service connected via the hub by any chance do you? Because that doesn’t currently work with the 5 either!

Completely agree with you about the bugs, but my intention like other users on here is to put it in modem mode so i can take advantage of the 2.5gb port. I use my own router anyway.

Nope we don’t have a landline

No one said anything about moaning, just asking a question which is on everyone’s mind

Just bought a

TP-LINK Archer C5400X WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 5400, Tri-band

should be interesting, a friend has the same and has made his connection solid