cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check and set Hub 3 Ethernet port speeds to 1Ghz

Izaq
Tuning in

Hi, Appreciate any guidance on how I can enforce my hub 3 ethernet ports to operate at 1Ghz. I have a laptop with Ethernet port (realtec PCIe GBE Family controller) configured to 1Ghz and am using a 2 metre Cat 5e cable from PC to VH3.     

But the speed only negotiates to 100Mhz . When I speedtest the broadband it never goes above 93M. 

As hub 3 is rated at 1GHz I should be able to use the ports at 1Ghz and have that speed on my home LAN.    The only thought I have is that if one of the other port in use (for powerline and security cameras etc) is 100Mhz then maybe that is forcing all of them to 100..???..  but I am fishing for ideas. 

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you tried using a new ethernet cable? Old ones can fail. Are the laptop's drivers up to date?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some cables only use two pairs for Cat5 and these only run at 100mb.  The old Xbox cable comes to mind ....

However the pins on proper Cat5e cables, can sometimes be "covered" by the "plastic dividers" on the connectors. If you check carefully you can scrape these metal connections clean and remake a good connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you tried using a new ethernet cable? Old ones can fail. Are the laptop's drivers up to date?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi , Thanks for the ideas...

Yes I had tried alternate new cable and also I updated drivers before selecting the 1GHz setting on the ethernet port .

I also rebooted laptop  and unplugged cable at both ends on re-starting.

I factory reset the HUB just the other day  (it's only been in place for 3 weeks !)  but that was before I set the 1Ghz on ethernet port (which had previously defaulted to 100) .

I also   tried the cable on a couple of different HUB ethernet ports with no improvement.   

I will try another factory reset and disconnect all cables this evening when the network is free (which is rarly at the moment) - and assuming it will not impact Virgins testing ..... but was hoping there was an easy way to check the setup (or force the setup) of the Hub 3 ethernet port. A bit like at the PC port where you have the option of speed limiting the port - I wondered if the hub had the same  facility that may have defaulted to 100M instead of 1G........ 

At the moment I cant even login to the hub anyway  - not sure if Virgin are on it messing around remotely trying to fix the issue as it states there is another user on...   

Thanks again - much appreciated

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you using the "Connect" App by any chance? If so try connecting directly without using it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

No specific connection App that I am aware of.  Just plug in and using the Ethernet Network connection that starts automatically by the OS.

Wifi is disabled to force the use of the ethernet.

Thanks

Hi

OK - I rebooted hub again - and laptop and played around with ethernet hardware settings to no avail... ...and just before giving up totally tried a third Cat5e cable I had that was wrapped and brand new....(so was the previous one !) .

It immediately sprang to life at 1GHz.     So thanks for the suggestion..you were right.....a

And the lesson for me is don't believe the ratings on the cables...    Thanks again    .

...I'm off to buy new cables now  .........

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some cables only use two pairs for Cat5 and these only run at 100mb.  The old Xbox cable comes to mind ....

However the pins on proper Cat5e cables, can sometimes be "covered" by the "plastic dividers" on the connectors. If you check carefully you can scrape these metal connections clean and remake a good connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi   I have gone through my cable draw and checked several now. A few clearly marked as Cat5e with seemingly all the pins and wires in place - but only operate at 100M. So they have been binned to avoid further confusion.    Thanks