cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I take off 5g

LZ1
Just joined

Hello,

For some reason I can connect to both 2g and 5g. I need to take off 5g as I am using the Cirle parental control app.

How do I take this off so my kids cant switch from 2g to 5g?

Many thanks,

Lene

7 REPLIES 7

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Circle says that shouldn't be a problem apparently:

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022374572

Mixed connection networks

Some routers are capable of combining the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and creating one SSID for your Wi-Fi network. Typically, Circle Home Plus works great with this type of configuration.

If you have split your network i.e. different names for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, then for Circle to work for both you'll need to merge the networks to a single name.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks a lot.

I have gone through the Circle help articles and enabled the Compatibility mode but it still doesnt work on the 5g. The internet is working fine but it doesnt apply the parental control to 5g, which is why I need to get rid of the 5g all together. Is that possible?

Many thanks,

Lene

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Hub do you have?

For the Hub 3 and Hub 4, by default they only show a single wireless name and password. Although there is then 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, they are treated as one network by the device which is what Circle is referring to above.

Thanks it's a superhub 2ac

lotharmat
Community elder
I'm not sure if the SH2ac's merge them and use intelligent WiFi.

If VM won't pony up for a Hub 3 that does merge the bands; you may need to invest in your own router (better anyway in the long run - Much more configurable and reliable)

The SH2ac is a great modem so getting your own router may be a much better option!

@Jbrennand runs a sweet setup with the SH2ac!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@LZ1 wrote:
Thanks it's a superhub 2ac

Unfortunately the 2ac leaves them separate if I remember correctly, and I'm not sure if it will allow you to manual merge them.

So, here's the instructions on how to disable 5Ghz

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-turn-off-wireless#superhub2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They are separate.

But that's a "blunt tool" way of doing it. I needed to do this when my kids were younger so I used my own better quality wireless router to enable me to allow time periods when all of their devices were allowed to connect or not - that's the best way to do it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.