cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many issues are down to SuperHub as a router?

RonaldWoodward
On our wavelength

Moved house recently, was on an (attainable) 70/20 Zen VDSL connection on a very solid line - rock solid 4-5ms pings at all times. Was using UniFi APs, no problems at all. We are now using a Virgin M500, using the SH4 and the same UniFi APs. Google home devices cut out all the time (or do the “something went wrong”), page loads are slow at first etc. How much of this is down to the actual connection, and how much is likely down to the SuperHub as a router? If I stick a decent router (UDM pro or similar) behind it, is it likely to behave better?

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

100%yes, the hub is a mass produced POS with a dodgy chipset that causes the majoroty of issues.

In modem mode you're just taking the docsis signal and beaming it via better WiFi in the case if a third party router.

Its so VM can keep tabs on your info is the only reason the hub is mandatory as a modem or combined router.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have a UDM Pro router and Unifi APs on my 1G connection and get no problems at all. Hubs work well as modems, very badly as routers.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

There’s another factor in that you’re in another house - so it’s a different environment  - different layout, construction, neighbours, interference sources and so on.

Regardless you’re likely better off getting a good 3rd party router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

@Anonymous wrote: Macy's Insite My Schedule

100%yes, the hub is a mass produced POS with a dodgy chipset that causes the majoroty of issues.

In modem mode you're just taking the docsis signal and beaming it via better WiFi in the case if a third party router.

Its so VM can keep tabs on your info is the only reason the hub is mandatory as a modem or combined router.

Thanks for sharing this information.