Menu
Highlighted
Rustywhiskers
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How many devices?

Hi. Looking to join virgin after my sky speed is rubbish...max 9mbs.   We have 13 or 14 devices including security cameras, phones, iPad, Alexas etc etc...  what package 50, 100, 200 would you all recommend....  this is for house phone line and broadband only, not tv.   Thanks. F. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How many devices?

the speed is not really relevant to the amount of the devices, as it depends what they are used for and if they are all being used at the same time.

Alexa doesn't use much bandwidth at all
security camera, i assume, will be mostly local network, not internet.

what you need is a good router to be able to manage all those devices well concurrently - so you'd be wanting to buy your own router to use with the virgin hub in modem mode.
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Start with 100, install a band width monitor and upgrade if need be https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-find-out-how-much-bandwidth-i-m-using-at-home-5917367

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The broadband bandwidth received at the Hub is shared between all devices connected to the network, so it would be worth testing the actual broadband speed at the Sky Hub by testing with a single device connected directly to the Sky Hub to see the total bandwidth you have to play with.

On the wireless side, the number of connected devices play a very significant part with wireless speeds as only one device can talk to a wireless router at a time. It is not only devices connected to your wireless network competing for airtime, but every other device in range using the same wireless channel.

A wireless device connected to a network is not truly idle as it may be sending out wireless probes, looking for updates, phoning Amazon and Google etc. all of which consume valuable airtime.

Wireless speeds are also affected by many other factors like range, interference, client hardware, the topography of your home etc.

Bear in mind changing to VM can only increase the speed being delivered to the Hub, individual devices speeds would depend on how they are connected to the HUb, wired devices should see an improvement in speed as there is more bandwidth to share, but wirelessdevices speed will depend on many factors that changing ISPs will not change.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Regardless of your ISP you should always connect as many devices by Ethernet cable as possible to take the load off WiFi.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Plenty of very good advice in previous replies, but I'd second Buffer6's suggestion - 100 Mbps is a decent slug of bandwidth ("speed"), and you'd have to be going some to use all of that.  My four adult household is on a 200 Mbps connection, but the reality is that we max out at at around 25 Mbps. even with everybody viewing different HD video streams.

The only circumstance where you might wish for more is not due to the number of connected devices, but if somebody in your household is doing daily gigabyte downloads, eg because they are an IT developer who needs to download nightly software builds.  But since in practical terms it is MUCH easier to upgrade your speed than to reduce it (and the price), I'd start with 100.  One minor caveat is that the upload speed is (if I recall correctly) 20 Mbps for a 200 connection, but only 10 for a 100 Mbps connection.  So if you do a lot of uploading (Twitch and video streaming don't count in this respect) then the sweet spot if 200.