cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many connected devices are allowed on Hub 3 router?

PDS123
Tuning in

I have c. 50 devices (mix of smart bulbs, Alexas, smart plugs, iPads, computers, etc) and I can no longer add additional smart home devices via either the Virgin Media router or an Airport Express Base Station (1st Generation) + two further Airport Express devices on a separate home network but connected via Ethernet to the Virgin hub.

Is there a maximum number of devices allowed on Virgin's Hub 3 including those connected in addition and presumably cumulatively via a connected separate wifi network as indicated above?

Thank you for any assistance offered!

78 REPLIES 78

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

There is no physical limit on the number of devices that can be added / connected to the hub although there is a limit on the number of IP addresses that can issued and that would be 250+

When you try and connect another device what error message are you getting when trying to connect to the hub.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Yes there is a max number of devices.

Youre better off getting your own router that can support more devices and run the hub in modem mode.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@PDS123 wrote:

I have c. 50 devices

The hub is like are you serious! I'm playing dead🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

With that number of devices I'd connect as many as possible by Ethernet cable and use the 5GHz band as much as you can for the rest.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Rawmusic
Just joined

Hey PDS,

I have a similar set up with Hue bulbs and devices out the wazoo and definitely had similar problems to those that you are describing. I used powerlines to get to deadspots, wifi extenders...etc..a real Frankenstein setup that was a bit fragile but worked mostly. Wifi would cut out fairly regularly leaving frustrated teachers (especially during lockdown Zoom lessons). Also, two iphones could be in the same room...one with good wifi and the other, nada...

Chats with tech help generally resulted in them trying to upgrade my broadband to increase capacity (we're on 200). One guy suggested that, yes, that was a lot of devices to try and attach to one wifi network and what did I expect ?!?!?

As an fully committed apple family, it pains me to suggest it, but maybe the venerable Airports might be approaching retirement age... I dunno. I know the adage...if it ain't broke... 

The solution that I finally settled on after trying various routes with wildly varying degrees of success was to rip it all out and go for an independent Mesh system. I now use the VM Hub still in router mode, but with the radios turned off and the first mesh node (TP Link P9) ethernetted to the VM hub. Everything connects just fine without any of the associated drop off of wifi that we would encounter on a daily basis. Less lag, more consistent u/l and d/l and no dead spots or hue bulbs being unresponsive. No swearing from the wife when she loses her student. Each node has two ethernet ports for wired equipment. Wish I'd done this ages ago, but I'm stubborn and don't like spending money

Hope you get sorted.

Richard

Does anyone know what the maximum number of devices is?

I have a substantial number of devices and added 4 more today.  Since then my connection has been a bit flaky.  Probably a coincidence, or it could be just more devices = more Wi-Fi collisions = more error correction = flaky connection.

@james8734 wrote:

Does anyone know what the maximum number of devices is?

I have a substantial number of devices and added 4 more today.  Since then my connection has been a bit flaky.  Probably a coincidence, or it could be just more devices = more Wi-Fi collisions = more error correction = flaky connection.

There is no maximum, theoretical or real, the Hub is good for as many devices as can be connected without compromising the connections.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the M350 broadband package and am experiencing slow speeds (max 50mbps if I am lucky) So I rang Virgin, they said I am a heavy user and have 16 devices connected and that is too many (by 4) so try and disconnect some?! Seriously? 

Hello unknown_user1

Thanks for your post 

I can see that also when you called today, The agent noticed that the 5g signal was disabled 

Which has been switched back on 

Can you reboot your hub please and try another speed test 

Gareth_L