cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many access points can we have?

Jammys4
Joining in

Hi.
We’re new to VM and are about to have our install (360 + mini box and WiFi). Having spoken to VM online and done some research, I’m still a bit unclear about some things that I hope you very clever peeps might be able to clear up for us.

I understand the main 360 TV box and WiFi router are hard wired hard to an access point. Is it possible to have more than 1 access point?

Would we be able to have the WiFi router in another part of the house some distance away from the main TV access point?

Does the 360 mini box have to be connected to an access point, an aerial point or is it a pure Wi-Fi enabled device?

We have booked a pre visit from an engineer, but I thought I’d get an idea of the possibilities before they arrive.

Many thanks in advance

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jammys4 wrote:

I understand the main 360 TV box and WiFi router are hard wired hard to an access point. Is it possible to have more than 1 access point?

Would we be able to have the WiFi router in another part of the house some distance away from the main TV access point?

Well, yes.  Typically there will be one coax cable coming to the property, arriving at a box fixed on the outside.  Where you have both TV and Broadband that can/will be split at some point so a feed goes to the modem/router and another feed to the TV box, both picking up their signals over the cable.

It's often simplest to have them in the same location which makes the cabling easier. That would likely be the technician's preference as it will most probably mean least work/materials.  If however you would rather have the modem/router in another part of the house (which is often better at some properties in terms of WiFi coverage and cabling layout) the technician should oblige.  Discuss options with them.

You might get better WiFi coverage with the router in the middle of the house rather than at one end of it, or on the bottom floor of a multi story house - but bear in mind any Ethernet cables will need to be fed from it, including to the TV360 box (Ethernet wired will give a better connection that any wireless connection).  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can have 1 ‘access point’ per VM device, in you case 3. They can be located anywhere. I have 2, my hub is under the stairs and TV box in living room. It’s best ti have Ethernet cables from the TV boxes back to the hub and not rely on WiFi. Unfortunately VM will not install these, you can DIY or get an electrician to wire them up.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jammys4 wrote:

Well, yes.  Typically there will be one coax cable coming to the property, arriving at a box fixed on the outside.  Where you have both TV and Broadband that can/will be split at some point so a feed goes to the modem/router and another feed to the TV box, both picking up their signals over the cable.

It's often simplest to have them in the same location which makes the cabling easier. That would likely be the technician's preference as it will most probably mean least work/materials.  If however you would rather have the modem/router in another part of the house (which is often better at some properties in terms of WiFi coverage and cabling layout) the technician should oblige.  Discuss options with them.

You might get better WiFi coverage with the router in the middle of the house rather than at one end of it, or on the bottom floor of a multi story house - but bear in mind any Ethernet cables will need to be fed from it, including to the TV360 box (Ethernet wired will give a better connection that any wireless connection).  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi

Thats great. Thanks for clearing this up for me. Just one more query. Is it a must to have a wired connection to the hub. Is the 350 Wi-Fi not stable enough to run TV services via Wi-Fi ?

Thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jammys4 wrote:

Does the 360 mini box have to be connected to an access point, an aerial point or is it a pure Wi-Fi enabled device?

As far as I know the 360 mini will need a Virgin Cable connection to receive live TV. 

Usually the TV boxes, including the 360 mini, have two connections (plus power and HDMI to the telly) - they have;

1. Cable connection for live TV (TV that is being shown at the time, according to the schedule)
  2. Ethernet (preferably) or WiFi connection to your Hub (Modem/router) for on demand services and apps (to watch catchup, Netflix, Prime, iPlayer, box sets etc.)

This is all shown on the VM website or via a web search....

If the VM technician is installing two TV boxes and a Hub I'd expect them to run cables, and use a three way splitter, to provide a cable connection to each.  I don't believe any Virgin Media boxes use an aerial connection (YouView, BT TV etc. do, and Sky usually have a satellite dish connection, but not VM).

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jammys4 wrote:

Hi

Thats great. Thanks for clearing this up for me. Just one more query. Is it a must to have a wired connection to the hub. Is the 350 Wi-Fi not stable enough to run TV services via Wi-Fi ?

Thanks

What do you mean by 350 Wi-Fi ?

It's not a 'must have' but it's recommended.

We have a non VM smart TV connected via WiFi (and an aerial for live TV).  Apps such as iPlay, ITVX, Netflix etc. all work fine.  The TV is in the room directly above the wireless router. I've got 'rock solid' WiFi set up but it might be more flakey at your house depending on various factors including your neighbour's WiFi, electrical kit or devices causing interference?  Who knows.  Maybe try it but be prepared to add Ethernet cables later if necessary.

Hi 

Sorry we’re having the M350 Wi-Fi speed

Hi.
Thanks for all your help and advice. It all seems very complicated

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Sorry we’re having the M350 Wi-Fi speed" No, you’re having 350 broadband speed. VM do not guarantee the WiFi speed, there are many factors involved, distance from source, interference, type of walls in your home. Unless you are sat next to the hub it’s unlikely that you will get this speed. Any device that can be Ethernet cabled works much better if cabled.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jammys4 wrote:

Hi.
Thanks for all your help and advice. It all seems very complicated

It’s not really…