cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many WiFi devices is too many

Conbrue
On our wavelength

Hello,

My WiFi seems to be struggling, most of the time showing full signal on iPad/phone etc but things are taking too long. Ran the WiFi test in every room and it came back as excellent in every corner of every room.

now, I do have a lot of devices for my smart home, 40 at least connected and that isn’t including the laptops, TVs etc, is there a limit?

only been with Virgin since this week, moved from Sky and I must say I am worried I have made the wrong choice, I work from home and I was even struggling with Teams calls which I never did on the sky BB. I have 600mb BB with Virgin.

ta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for those details Conbrue

Can you leave this with me and I can look at getting a pod sent out

The hub and power levels are all with in spec 

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The hub is a basic budget router, I would say it won't be able to handle 40 wireless devices reliably. Your really bordering a business grade router at that amount 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You need a decent home/consumer router or mesh system.

Look at something from TP-Link or ASUS

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Would I use a new router in addition to the VM one? Separate networks for the home automation makes sense but when I called VM about moving to them I did mention I had lots of devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable
you could out the hub into modem mode and connect your new router. the hub then just acts as a modem

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Conbrue wrote:

<snip>   only been with Virgin since this week, moved from Sky and I must say I am worried I have made the wrong choice, I work from home and I was even struggling with Teams calls which I never did on the sky BB. I have 600mb BB with Virgin.

ta

I think the Teams issue would relate to Sky having a much lower latency than VM.  As for having 40 devices, agree with the previous posters, the Hub will struggle.  Best to invest in a better wifi solution, with either something like Unifi Access Points, or a decent Mesh system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Conbrue,

Welcome back to our Community Forum! Thank you for your post, we really appreciate it!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some connection issues with the amount of devices you have.

Are you experiencing this issue on just WiFi connected devices, or on wired devices also? Do you have any active Ethernet connections?

Please keep us updated on your connection issue and how it's going at the moment.

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Conbrue
On our wavelength

Hi,

Still having major issues, kids complaining about drop outs etc (end of the world lol), I’m a little bugged that it looks like I may have to spend money to sort this out when I didn’t have these issues with Sky and the VM rep asked how many devices I had. Would an upgrade to the next VM router help?

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is upgrading your hub an option offered to you?

Hi Conbrue

Sorry to hear this is still happening 
I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L