Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 108
  • 1
  • 3
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
877 Views
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

After finding an unknown device on my network (I identified it with a tool in WIndows as a Xiaomi smart plug) I promptly went to the MAC filter to add it the blocked list....

Absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, disgusted that it doesn't work. After looking on the forum I can it hasn't worked since day one. This is outrageous... absolutely criminal.

2-3 years to fix it and nothing!!!!!

I mean, you put up with some fun and games from VM, but not fixing a basic security service in 2-3 years is professional misconduct. 

I can't get my head around this one, VM.I don't think you're ever going to top this one.

EDIT: As VM like to make it as difficult as possible to send them complaints, try this service by Martin Lewis: https://www.resolver.co.uk

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 3.68K
  • 307
  • 1.07K
Dave_cq
Community elder
845 Views
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

Yes it is outrageous but if VM cared they would have commissioned a better unit than the Hub 3 in the first place.  It is simply not fit for purpose.

I know you shouldn't have to but the obvious solution is to buy a decent router.

 

 

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Highlighted
  • 6.6K
  • 511
  • 1.1K
Tudor
Legend
842 Views
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

Why do you think you can sue VM? Where in their Terms and Conditions do they say they will supply a working MAC block filter.

The Hub3 is a simplistic combined router/network switch/Wireless Access Point built down to a price point. As you will find by reading posts on this board many people have invested in their own routers and network equipment.


Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 108
  • 1
  • 3
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
826 Views
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

WOW, what a Virgin Media slave you are. Are you actually for real? I'm asking for a functioning product... MAC filtering is in the router... IT'S BASIC SECURITY... I don't know if they as an ISP are legally obliged to provide MAC filtering or anything else, but it's sort of, you know... expected!

Your attitude on this is creepy and... yeah... think I'll just stick with creepy, very creepy.


@Tudor wrote:

Why do you think you can sue VM? Where in their Terms and Conditions do they say they will supply a working MAC block filter.

The Hub3 is a simplistic combined router/network switch/Wireless Access Point built down to a price point. As you will find by reading posts on this board many people have invested in their own routers and network equipment.


 

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 108
  • 1
  • 3
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
824 Views
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!


@Dave_cq wrote:

Yes it is outrageous but if VM cared they would have commissioned a better unit than the Hub 3 in the first place.  It is simply not fit for purpose.

I know you shouldn't have to but the obvious solution is to buy a decent router.

 

 


I require VM to provide me with basic home network security using their equipment, if that means THEY fork out for a fit-for-purpose router to provide me with those functions, then I'm willing to except whilst they try and fix the SH3.

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 13.52K
  • 1.05K
  • 3.16K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
821 Views
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!


@UtopiaOpera wrote:

@Dave_cq wrote:

Yes it is outrageous but if VM cared they would have commissioned a better unit than the Hub 3 in the first place.  It is simply not fit for purpose.

I know you shouldn't have to but the obvious solution is to buy a decent router.

 

 


I require VM to provide me with basic home network security using their equipment, if that means THEY fork out for a fit-for-purpose router to provide me with those functions, then I'm willing to except whilst they try and fix the SH3.


with respect - you can expect what you want - what you get is a hub3 with all its faults and restrictions

again with respect if thats not good enough you have 2 choices - buy a 3rd party router - VM will not pay for one or move on

i guess you have a 3rd choice - accept what they give you are forget it

call me what you want after that - thats as it is 

____________________

Tony
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 547
  • 44
  • 172
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
806 Views
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

Can we stop calling MAC filtering security? At the very best it's security by obscurity.

If you're positive this smart plug isn't in your home and nobody in your household configured it to your wireless network my advice would be to change your wireless network password, blacklisting the MAC doesn't fix the fact your password needed to be known to link it in the first place and that MAC addresses can be spoofed.

As far as I can see the Xiaomi smart plug does not come in a BS1363 variant so it'd be an unusual choice for using in the UK.
Highlighted
  • 108
  • 1
  • 3
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
792 Views
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!


@DreamOfCheese wrote:
Can we stop calling MAC filtering security? At the very best it's security by obscurity.

If you're positive this smart plug isn't in your home and nobody in your household configured it to your wireless network my advice would be to change your wireless network password, blacklisting the MAC doesn't fix the fact your password needed to be known to link it in the first place and that MAC addresses can be spoofed.

As far as I can see the Xiaomi smart plug does not come in a BS1363 variant so it'd be an unusual choice for using in the UK.

How is it not a security feature when I can create a list of excepted MAC addresses and keep all others out?

You just sound like yet another unpaid, VM, white-knighting slave. Sorry... but if you and all the other regular helpers on this forum spent as much time calling them out on the **bleep**less SH3, then they might have actually fixed it by now! You're just acting as enablers for an unacceptable product!

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 11.8K
  • 1.08K
  • 2.56K
griffin
Alessandro Volta
795 Views
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!


@UtopiaOpera wrote:

WOW, what a Virgin Media slave you are. Are you actually for real? I'm asking for a functioning product... MAC filtering is in the router... IT'S BASIC SECURITY... I don't know if they as an ISP are legally obliged to provide MAC filtering or anything else, but it's sort of, you know... expected!

 

Yes it is basic security, so basic in fact it is trivial to bypass

Highlighted
  • 547
  • 44
  • 172
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
790 Views
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!


@UtopiaOpera wrote:

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
Can we stop calling MAC filtering security? At the very best it's security by obscurity.

If you're positive this smart plug isn't in your home and nobody in your household configured it to your wireless network my advice would be to change your wireless network password, blacklisting the MAC doesn't fix the fact your password needed to be known to link it in the first place and that MAC addresses can be spoofed.

As far as I can see the Xiaomi smart plug does not come in a BS1363 variant so it'd be an unusual choice for using in the UK.

How is it not a security feature when I can create a list of excepted MAC addresses and keep all others out?

You just sound like yet another unpaid, VM, white-knighting slave. Sorry... but if you and all the other regular helpers on this forum spent as much time calling them out on the **bleep**less SH3, then they might have actually fixed it by now! You're just acting as enablers for an unacceptable product!


MAC filtering (both whitelist and blacklist) is no better than a name list to get into a building, it's only useful until you change your name to one either on or not on the list depending on white or blacklist.
Whitelist takes more effort to circumvent, but it's still quite easily doable as the systems in the area will be advertising the necessary information.

But that's not important as the rest of your message makes it clear you only read the first line of mine, and not the actual advice I gave.