How do i get a Hub 4

AnnieMason
Tuning in

How can i get a Hub 4

12 REPLIES 12

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a Hub3, there is no gain in getting a Hub4.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @AnnieMason,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your query on our forums.

Are you having any issues with your current hub or connection that would need a replacement hub? If so, what issues are you currently having?

What is your current broadband speed?

Regards,

Steven_L

Streaming on my TV is rubbish, keeps dropping out, signal upstairs is non existent, it keeps dropping out.  Done the tests and the App says it’s good in those rooms.  Done a reset, the hub isn’t buried and I only live in a small house.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The wifi from a Hub4 is no better (some say worse) than a Hub3.

What is connectivity like on an ethernet cable connected computer or laptop direct into the Hub? If that is poor it could be a network issue - if they are fine its probably due to the inherent cheap wifi components in the Hubs and your difficult wifi environment.

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to 1GB or Ultimate Ooomph package customers others will be charged £5/month. If they are free they are well worth getting and offer a simple solution.  Order via the phone or a VM person will do it here. If not, at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Its too bad that the hubs were not just modems then nobody would care what hub they have as long as it works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you John, that’s a brilliant answer with some great advice.  I will attempt to try all that, however, I have no idea how to get into the settings of the Hub…doh🤔.  I’ll goggle how to do it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 and hit return. Login with the "Settings Password" on the base (not the wifi one) or if you changed it before - use that

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for coming back to us @AnnieMason.

You can get into the hub settings by putting the following address in your browser 192.168.0.1 and the password that you need for this is shown on the bottom of your hub as the settings password.

Regards,

Steven_L

John, have you any advice on which hub to buy, I’m clueless.