Menu
JohnFoz
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

How do I upgrade to a Superhub 3 and other questions re contacting VM?

I have a Superhub 2 which is over 5 years old, and the M200 fibre package. It works ok when close to it, but is poor at any distance away from it.

The Virgin Media web site states there is a free upgrade to the Superhub 3. Reading up on the differences between the 2 hubs it is clear that the Superhub 3 is much more likely to have a greater range, and so would clearly suit my needs better.

In the past I have had successful "Live Chat" with someone, and I was considering using this facility to find out what's going on with regard to upgrading, as the VM web site was not able to help.

I also note there is a messenger service which I have not used.

Given that my experience of getting satisfaction, via a phone call, has not been great in the past, my questions are:-

1) How do I get a Superhub3, and what is the best procedure for a satisfactory outcome?

2) Are the Live Chat and Messenger services accessable, and if so what is the the most reliable procedure for getting that access?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to a Superhub 3 and other questions re contacting VM?

you can try this link for the hub upgrade. works for some, but not others. If it doesn't, then  you can wait around here for a few days and a forum staffer will make arrangements to ship one out to you.

not sure you'll have a much-improved experience though - this place is littered with complaints about how the hub3 (and 4) perform as wireless devices.. i guess it must work for some people though, so worth a shot. 

0 Kudos
JohnFoz
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick response!

0 Kudos
JohnFoz
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tried the link on Firefox and got the "oops something went wrong..." message. So tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge and got the same result, so the link can't be working?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@JohnFoz wrote:

Tried the link on Firefox and got the "oops something went wrong..." message. So tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge and got the same result, so the link can't be working?

the link works, it just means that you're on an old package and VM's systems can't process the request.

your next best option is hanging around here and waiting for staff to respond - based on other reports - you have a 50/50 chance of the agent knowing about the offer if you contact the CS desk by phone.. but I've seen forum staff arrange new hubs in the is scenario many times - it'll probably take a few days, but they'll get to it eventually, and it'll be less stressful than waiting an hour on the phone only to be told that they'll have to charge you for it.. 

0 Kudos
JohnFoz
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ok I'll do what you suggest, and wait a few days. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
JohnFoz
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just been contacted by VM via text (good response since yesterday.

They say they can order me Hub 3 but they want a one off activation fee of £35. Is this correct? I was expecting just a small fee for P&P.

Also can anyone confirm that my contract is unaffected by this new hub?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@JohnFoz wrote:

Just been contacted by VM via text (good response since yesterday.

They say they can order me Hub 3 but they want a one off activation fee of £35. Is this correct? I was expecting just a small fee for P&P.

Also can anyone confirm that my contract is unaffected by this new hub?

no, not correct. should just be a small fee (<£10) for shipping AFAIK. 

forum staff got to someone else here really quickly earlier, hopefully they'll notice this thread soon too.. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It's typical of VM CS, they dont know about the replacement scheme, after all its only been running for a year or so... give them time. That is the fee if you request a new equipment upgrade. Many VM staff on here have said that there is NO activation charge foir this - just a £5 delivery.

I sometimes think we on here should simply advise SH users to "ensure" the Hub is not working and then call it in as a fault - they will either just send a free upgrade or a Tech to investigate and they will just swap it for free in a heartbeat.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JohnFoz
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update. I've queried the £35 and they are looking into my account hopefully with good news.

I must admit, having read some less than complementary remarks about the Hub 3 on this forum, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a sensible move.

But from the technical spec point of view it's better than my 5 year old router surely?

I also read somewhere in response to the question: "When should I upgrade my router?" that it's good practice to upgrade every 2 years?

0 Kudos