Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do I get technical help?

We've lost the 2G and 5G strands of our WiFi network. This makes it slower and causes problems with the printer. It's happened before and we fixed it quickly on the phone, but I can't find a phone number.  I've tried texting the number above but just sent back to the generic answers.

How do I connect with a real person who can fix this for me? Been waiting since lockdown began. Cheers Kate

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I get technical help?

What do you mean you’ve “lost” them?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media gave us 2 strands/streams (?) of our broadband - a 2G and 5G version, to solve issues we were having. Sometimes thes seem to drop out/disapear and we are left with the original broadband stream without the extensions. Last time this happened it just took a phone call and they got them back for us again, so I just need to get hold of someone at Virgin Media who can do this fix again for us.
It's making our broadband very slow and the printer/scanner is barely working.
Is there a technical support phone line for Virgin Media during the pandemic? It says please only contact if it's urgent - but then doesn't tell you how!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The number hasn't changed - 0345 454 1111

I think you mean you have 2.4G and 5G Wifi from your router? If so, have you tried turning the router off and then back on? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Reboot the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The DIY fix....

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos