cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i get a new router?

Ether
Joining in

My wifi has been terrible for more than a year and I'm pretty sure it's because my router is old (6 years). When i use the Network diagnostics tool, every single one of my devices shows weak signal strength and it's not like my devices are far from the router. My house is small and there's only about 6 devices connected to it. Even the room next to the router doesn't get speeds above 20Mbps (i'm on 200Mbps). I've spoken to Virgin Media support a few times and they won't replace my router, last month when i called they said they would send me Wifi extenders and afterwards if the problem still continued then they'd think about it. But they've yet to send any Wifi extenders; also it wouldn't solve my wifi problems anyway because the problem is not that my devices are far away and the wifi can't reach my devices. I don't want to call again and spend 40 minutes going through it all again. Can someone from Virgin Media please DM me to help get a new router. Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly what Hub model is it (on its sticker)?

Then are the speed issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

If it is a wifi only issue then see this....

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.
You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It's the Hub 3. And the issue only happens with wifi connections, i use ethernet for my PC and the speeds always above 200Mbps. I will try to play around with the bands and see if it improves anything. But I really think it's just because the router is just very old. I would buy my own router but I don't think I should need to spend extra on a router myself when it should be Virgin's responsibility to keep the router updated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What colour light is showing on the Hub 3? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do try the band splitting and channel checking first.... as If all is well on ethernet then in all likelyhood the wifi is probably not failing on the Hub but your environment is constantly changing and the Hub's wifi is just inherently "poor"

See this post I have made before...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.
You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Ether

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of the WiFi issues and the non-arrival of the Pod. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill