Menu
Liveammo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How can I change my IP address?

Hi, I have experienced 3 attacks through Norton which were all handled by Nortons Internet Security package.

After speaking with Norton support, I was advised on several methods to employ in order to change my internet settings. One of these was changing the IP address. 

I have the superhub 3.0 and want to know how I can change the IP address?

The support agent also asked whether we have a static or dynamic IP - I have no idea. I am looking for the safest solution for the long run.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I change my IP address?

Officially you have Dynamic IP. Factually, your IP address is sticky. Your IP address WILL change if you move the Hub from router mode to modem mode. Then you'll need a third party router. If you change back to router mode you WILL get the sticky IP back if you do it within the lease period (7 days) and MIGHT get it back if it hasn't been reallocated after the lease period expired.

Best to rely on your security package, imo and even better if you go to modem mode and use the stronger protection facilities of the standalone router in addition to your PC software.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Liveammo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, appreciate the reply

So basically if i purchase a third party router this assigns a new IP address by default?

I also understand the IP changes every 7 days which is the fixed lease renewal period? If this is true, should I leave my current setup as it is?

Ideally I could do with a third party router to get a better range around the home. I was already considering this sometime ago. If the external router is the best option for me, could you recommend anything. I am not familiar with modern day router specs so any brief information would be most appreciated as to what is current and works well with the superhub 3 modem.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Liveammowrote:

Hi, appreciate the reply

So basically if i purchase a third party router this assigns a new IP address by default? [SEPH]: It's the new device's different MAC address that triggers the IP address change.  The lease on the old IP address remains in place till the lease expires.

I also understand the IP changes every 7 days which is the fixed lease renewal period? If this is true, should I leave my current setup as it is?  [SEPH]: The lease renews every 7 days.  It doesn't change upon lease renewal.

Ideally I could do with a third party router to get a better range around the home. I was already considering this sometime ago. If the external router is the best option for me, could you recommend anything. I am not familiar with modern day router specs so any brief information would be most appreciated as to what is current and works well with the superhub 3 modem. [SEPH]: Any router with a WAN port will work OK with the Hub 3.  The most popular make in this forum, I'd say, is ASUS.  The RT-AC68U and later are what I recommend.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos