cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Connect Two Routers On One Home Network Using A Lan Cable

stephen_53
Tuning in

Hi, 

How to setup a second router via ethernet / LAN to extend wireless network?

I asked this question in June 2020, and I've had this working since then using the Hub 3. However a few weeks ago I upgraded to the Hitron router. It was still working until this morning. Five hours later, I still can't get this to work?

Here's my setup

Hitron Router

• Using this as the DHCP server, this is the default configuration
  • I've checked the DHCP Start IP starts at 192.168.0.10
  • Turned auto channel off, set it to 1

D-link router

• Disabled DCHP server
  • Disabled UPnP
  • Turned auto channel off, set it to 6
  • Set LAN IP Address of the D-Link router to 192.168.0.2
  • Saved all changes

Turned both routers on and off...

Hitron router still works fine, as expected I've not changed anything major - just stopped it from auto selected a wi-fi channel. The D-link router is connected to the Hitron router via an Ethernet cable.

When I select the D-link router I can't get any wifi signal. It's weird how this has been working fine until this morning.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions I can try?

6 REPLIES 6

stephen_53
Tuning in

EDIT

I do have wi-fi signal on the D-Link router, it's just not connecting to the Internet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you have a business account. These boards are really for home users. 

Maybe you have a dead router?

Change LAN to 192.168.255.1/24 connect the WAN port of the D-Link to the Hitron and see if it gets a IP
---------------------------------------------------------------

g0akc
Problem sorter

I'd use a wired connection - to a laptop - to investigate.

• Connect laptop to an Hitron  Ethernet port - at the command line type ifconfig/all (or whatever for your operating system)
  • See what's shown - has the laptop acquired an IP address, does it show the gateway and so on
  • You can also do likewise in the Windows settings
  • Do same with laptop connected to the D Link (which is still connected via Ethernet to Hitron)
  • What's shown there.  Does Laptop have an IP address?
  • Go into the D Link GUI - login - and check some things;
    • Can you reach the D Link GUI OK, at 192.168.0.2 ? 
    • Do the IP address details show correctly on the home page?
    • Is it set for a DHCP connection, static IP or what?
  • and so on....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the reply. 

Turned out to be a fault with the virgin router! I spent 8 hours yesterday, plus a trip to the shops to buy a new router only to find this morning the LAN ports on the virgin router are working again. Temperamental to say the least.

I had issues with this router a few weeks ago, but a quick reboot ‘fixed’ it. Didn’t work yesterday though.  

Online search reveals many unhappy customers with similar problems. What a frustrating waste of time. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @stephen_53,

I am sorry for the issues with the Hub.

I am glad it is working for you now though.

Let us know if you need help with anything in the future.

You know where to find us.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide