cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot SH3, red light, modem mode

Suthen
Joining in

Hi,

I’ve having some problems with my SH3 for about 6 months (all reported to customer service) and I’m really not getting anywhere.

im pretty sure my hub is failing, it’s a few years old, often has a red light, but mostly orange, it’s always running hot and the wifi keeps dropping out.

I’ve done multiple resets and reboots via conversations with the phone support team and still struggling to resolve the issue.

I’ve asked multiple times for an engineer to come out and have been told the router is ‘fine’ and I should call back when it happens again - which is often a challenge, as often when it fails I’m either working or trying to sort the kids out.

TBH, I’m getting quite tired of being stuck in this loop and considering going to the Communication and Internet Adjudication Scheme, but as I was researching, I came across much better support and outcomes on these channels and thought I would have one last attempt here.

Can you help at all?

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
setup a BQM for your router
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure it's in modem mode? Ie are you using your own separate router attached to the hub by ethernet cable?

If it really is in modem mode then a red light is normal.

Let's just clarify this before moving on.

I am guessing it is really in the default router mode but it's important to be sure.

Either way switch it off for half an hour for now to cool down. 

It is in modem mode - but only from today.

I got so fed-up of trying to resolve the issue, i went out out and picked up a Mesh system to attempt to bypass the exisiting wi-fi challenges.

The orange/red light and heat... that's been going on for ages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the Hub had a red light pre modem mode and also hot to the touch then you need a new hub via the VM forum team or by calling it in on 0345 454 1111.

Keep it well ventilated and consider unplugging it overnight.

The mesh system will be great but only once you have a properly functioning hub again. 

Hi Suthen, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the issue you're having with your overheating hub.  I would love to help you resolve this issue. I am going to send you a private message, to confirm some details.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi  Suthen, 
Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 
I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.
Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:
The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.
Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 
Lets us know how the appointment goes. 
Regards

Lee_R