cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeless

Ianmcgagh
Tuning in

Hi, I’ve been on the chat service today to inform them that I’ve had to leave the house I have been living in for the past 7 years as the landlord sold the house and I haven’t been able to find any other affordable rentals around. I’m currently homeless and lodging on friends sofas with both of my children. I was informed today that my early termination fee to leave my contract early was the full contract price in one payment this is just totally unaffordable at the moment with the situation I’m currently in. I’m trying keep life as normal as possible for my children but the financial situation I’m in isn’t helping and it is really starting to affect my mental health I’ve never missed a payment and I really don’t want to get into arrears and it to affect my credit report when it’s taken me years to get it stable. Just feel that I’m being punished by virgin media for losing my house due to no fault of my own as if my life wasn’t hard enough at the moment 😭

17 REPLIES 17

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i cannot add anything other than flagging this to VM - hopefully they can sort something out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's hope sense prevails. 

There is this from the website:

Financial circumstances have changed
If your circumstances have changed, don’t worry – we’re here to support you.

We have options to help, depending on what situation you’re in. They vary from giving a few extra days to pay your bill, to offering you a reduced service for up to six months so that you can stay with us while paying back what you owe in an affordable way.

If your circumstances mean you can’t take any of our options, we might have to place our account with one of our trusted agencies. They’ll be able to accommodate you making payments over a longer time.

Remember, we’re here to help make payments straightforward and support you with managing your account in difficult times. Contact us to discuss payment options.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/payment-issues

Whatever happens best of luck pal 

Thank you. How do I flag it? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ianmcgagh wrote:

<snip>I was informed today that my early termination fee to leave my contract early was the full contract price in one payment this is just totally unaffordable at the moment with the situation I’m currently in. <snip>😭

It should be capped at £240 max. The EDF, fees page is here

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees

if that helps any to compare against what you were told on the chat.

Hopefully one of the forum team can help you out when they get here.

-tony- has already flagged it for you. One of the VM staff will be here shortly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tony flagged it for you. 

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Ianmcgagh

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that this has happened! 

I'd love to look into this with you and see what we can sort, I'll send you a PM now. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.

Best of luck to you buddy, the darkness will pass, all you have to do is hold on. 

Samaritans call 116 123

Not at all! I'm so glad we could get this sorted for you, any trouble at all just pop me a message and I'll take a look.

Ash