Menu
TPY
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Home service

Has anyone been recievingg that  calls regarding the WIFI signal being poor? By the way its very poor and does not have a strong enough signal to go upstairs,Im sure alot of other are suffering with the same issue.

I have reieved a few calls and they were asking for more money for the service stating that they would send an engineer to my house to configure my router to optimal performance and yes at a cost. I was quite irrate with the caller as I pay for a service, I quickly asked if he was employed by Virgin Media and managed to gain information that he was not a direct employee but worked for Virgin I assume in a subcontractor way unfortunalety he had alot of my personal information, is this a legitamate thing that is happening or is there reason for concern?  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home service

does not sound right but lets ask @ModTeam

Tony
TPY
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The number they rang from was 0800 052 1251

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thats confirmed elsewhere to be genuine VM [sales] number - afaik they should not be offering tech visits that you have to pay for

Tony
0 Kudos
TPY
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes it’s a genuine VM number, BUT as it’s is extremely easy to spoof caller Id you do not know that the caller was calling from that number. I would treat it as extremely suspicious. 

If I was going to try a scam, and I would not, this is exactly what I would do, spoof a genuine VM number

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi TPY,

Apologies for concern this has caused, I can confirm the call was genuine.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B

can i jump in and comment further - checking the number showed it as genuine - i did that earlier - fine but what about the content of the call - if correctly reported sales? are making calls to send a tech to sort out settings on a router at a chargeable amount - or is there something missing in the info - i ask with a suggestion that may be way off

has the OP complained in a call that the wifi is poor and the call back response is for a tech to supply and fit homeplugs which would have an on going cost but not as intimated a call out cost

Tony
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@-tony-

Unfortunately I can't disclose the nature of the call publicly but I've passed on the feedback to ensure that the propositions are correctly represented on such calls in future.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sounds to me like a sales call is being misrepresented as a technical support issue.

This may be considered by some to be mis-selling a product or service. Questionable at least.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.