cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home scan <20mbps.. order Wi-Fi pod

grampositive
Joining in

I’m on M350 fibre.

Unreliable and slow connection in 2 rooms <20mbps. Home scan on connect app tells me to order Wi-Fi pod. 
I gather from these forums that an admin will pick up this message?

I tried the chat bot… useless 

9 REPLIES 9

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

You can now order an Intelligent WiFi Pod by calling 0800 064 3850.

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry to see you are having problems ordering the wifi boosters. VM will only send out one at a time, and there must be at least  7 days before ordering each one. It's up to three in total depending upon coverage. I hope the following helps.

You need to use the Connect app to perform the Home Scan in the area where the signal is low(est)

The info below is a copy paste of the steps provided by @John_GS  (Forum Team) in how to order them when using the Connect app.

• Tap Start the scan 
  • Then Start the scan again 
  • While connect to WiFi, Tap I’m ready 
  • Wait 2 mintues for Scan 
  • Scan complete, Tap continue 
  • Tap Add a room, Tap the room you're in 
  • Start the Scan (do this in every room) 
  • Scan complete 
  • Tap Optimise WiFi now if an option 
  • If so, Tap Optimise 
  • Optimisation complete, Tap Rescan room,  Tap Start Scan 
  • Tap Order a WiFi Booster if an option

If that doesn't work you can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

leaving aside the fact there's a suggestion the app should let me order it... I did phone up (sales number) and got through to the broadband not working team.
I tried to order the wifi pods, but the assistant preferred to do so by transferring me to be a Volt customer, although the total broadband + SIM was less than I am paying now. He suggested if I wanted to wifi pods without changing it would be £8 a month.

Does this sound legit? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @grampositive 

Yes, unless you are a Volt customer it's £8 a month.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max 

f you are on our Gig1 Fibre Broadband, Volt or Ultimate Oomph packages, you get our WiFi guarantee included at no extra cost.
I you are on our M50 to M500 Fibre Broadband packs (without Volt), you can add our WiFi guarantee with WiFi Max for £8 a month with the first WiFi Pod provided automatically.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @grampositive 👋 Thank you for your post 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problems you've been having 😔

Given what @newapollo has advised, what's your thinking towards the situation? Would you like us to raise an order for a first Pod based on your current package or do you intend to go onto a Volt deal?

Please pop back to us whenever you're ready and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel

grampositive
Joining in

Well... I'm working at home again today and went to the trouble of calling up to try and change to the offered Volt bundle. Unfortunately no record of that and I spent a 45 minute merry dance trying to be upsold the latest and best offers.. all of which is more money than I am paying currently. I can't fault the persistence but the uncertainty in the voice of the agent gives me no confidence that I'll even get what is on offer.

I might as well get some stand alone wifi extenders... certainly cheaper than £8 a month for the duration of my contract.

Am I missing something here?

grampositive
Joining in

Well....

some serious time wasted.

I called back again and spoke again to the technical team.. they made note of last weeks conversation about the Volt bundle but weren't able to sort the price, so suggested retentions. They then looked and tried, but because of a opening 6 month discount I have, they couldn't improve the price either, so they recommended customer care who could supply the pod FOC. So I spoke to them and they went through the motions of checking the line etc etc. and can't order a wifi booster from their end.

So back to square one. It is simply cheaper and I am very happy to order a powerline or mesh extender from elsewhere. I don't have a problem with virgin trying to upsell me stuff or not being able to better an existing deal, but it shouldn't be so complicated.

And my advise to cardiffman and newapollo - if you are going to give advice about ordering pods on my thread and others, it is worth adding to your spiel that it needs to be on Volt package or it's £8 a month. It might have helped me avoid all this hassle in the first place.

Best wishes to all.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@grampositive If you check my post  on ‎21-05-2023 11:18

"Yes, unless you are a Volt customer it's £8 a month.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max 

f you are on our Gig1 Fibre Broadband, Volt or Ultimate Oomph packages, you get our WiFi guarantee included at no extra cost.
I you are on our M50 to M500 Fibre Broadband packs (without Volt), you can add our WiFi guarantee with WiFi Max for £8 a month with the first WiFi Pod provided automatically.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Lisa_CC

Hello,

A gentle reminder to please keep replies polite, respectful and relevant. Post has been deleted

Thanks,

Lisa