cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home hub 4 settings

realbrutal
Tuning in

I recently received the home hub 4 and wondered why the 5ghz band defaults to channel 108? My Wi-Fi adaptor on my pc (pce-ac68) won’t see the 5ghz band because of this as it only accepts channel 44. Is there any way to stop the router from picking this channel automatically? Any help would be appreciated.

Ps. I have to leave Wi-Fi optimisation on because otherwise my Wi-Fi pod will not work so I’m stuck with channel 108 on the 5ghz band. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The new Wi-Fi adaptor instantly worked on 5ghz. I’m a happy man. Thanks guys!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@realbrutal wrote:

I recently received the home hub 4 and wondered why the 5ghz band defaults to channel 108? My Wi-Fi adaptor on my pc (pce-ac68) won’t see the 5ghz band because of this as it only accepts channel 44. Is there any way to stop the router from picking this channel automatically? Any help would be appreciated.

Ps. I have to leave Wi-Fi optimisation on because otherwise my Wi-Fi pod will not work so I’m stuck with channel 108 on the 5ghz band. 

You’ll need to disable smart Wifi. But if you have a pod then it will use whatever channel it seems as the best - 108 being a DFS channel that is usually clear congestion wise. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Channel 108 is within the standard range for 5GHz, I’ve never seen any adapters that restrict you to the lower channels. Have you tried to update the drivers?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I have latest driver for this Wi-Fi adaptor but it’s dated 2017. I’m assuming it’s just not a good driver. 

I decided to buy a new Wi-Fi adaptor (pce-ax58bt) 
because of this issue. At least this Wi-Fi adaptor has better features (Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, windows 11 support and latest Wi-Fi security wpa3). It’s coming today so will let you guys know how it goes. But it’s a very strange issue indeed. 

The new Wi-Fi adaptor instantly worked on 5ghz. I’m a happy man. Thanks guys!

@gary_dexter

You seem to know a lot about DFS channels and DFS 108 an VM pods?

Ive been advised by my IT dept that to use channel 44 s dfs 108 is causing issues with my MS Teams voice quality and calls and videos calls as ppl say they cant hear me for 5-10 secs!!

However if i turn off Smart Wifi Channel Optimization under admin page it stops the pods from working?
Why can't I for arguments sake use manual 5ghz channel 44 and turn off Smart Wifi Channel Optimization!

Shouldn't that work? e.g turn off Smart Wifi Channel Optimization and use manual 5ghz channel 44?

Any help would be appreciated!

VM CS and Tech Support were awful and rude he said i will need to reset router again! No thank you ive changed to the way I like to with new ssid and wifi password etc....