cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network Set Up (maybe Ubiquiti)

Jonesad
Joining in

For background:- 

• we are in the middle of a renovation and extension project involving the refurbishment of existing bungalow and the addition of an extension. 
  • The electrician has already completed first fix and enabled cat 6 cabling throughout. As it’s a bungalow, it’s easy to update this via the loft.
  • We will have a Virgin Hub for broadband which will be located in a cupboard/plant room.
  •  We will have a mix of cat 6 Ethernet sockets and and ceiling mounted wireless access points.

My questions are:-

1. do we need a separate router to the Virgin Hub. I’ve read mixed views on this. If so can someone recommend, not looking to send a fortune on any of this.

2. Can someone recommend a switch? I expect to have 9-10 Ethernet sockets around the house but they won’t all always be used (is this too many?) in addition to any WAP’s.

3. Can someone recommend how many and where any WAP’s should be installed? I was thinking maybe 3 in total. I can upload a floor plan if that helps? It would be useful to get comments on this suggestion and also recommend specific WAP’s.

Many thanks in anticipation.

24 REPLIES 24

Thanks for that. So the POE ports can be in the router or the Switch?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s confusing. The definition of a router in networking terms is a device that connects between two networks, it does not include a network switch. The big BUT is that a lot of devices are incorrectly called routers when they actually contain a router and a network switch. The network switch in these devices can be a PoE network switch. Most home retail ‘routers’ contain a network switch and nearly all also a WiFi access point. Hope I haven’t lost you!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Think that has confused me more regarding what I need!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You need a POE Switch if your going to run AP and be powered from a switch 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"You need a POE Switch if your going to run AP and be powered from a switch "

Yes, but one of the routers I recommended contains a PoE switch.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Is it? Or is it so you can power the router by PoE?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Compact but powerful router sporting (5) Gigabit RJ45 ports with passive PoE support and an SFP port.

The EdgeRouter™ X SFP combines cost-effective routing performance with the convenience of passive PoE support in a compact form factor.

Features:

• (5) Gigabit RJ45 ports with passive PoE support
    • (1) Gigabit SFP port for backhaul applications
    • Ports configurable for line-rate, Layer-2 switching
    • 130 kpps for 64-byte packets
    • 1 Gbps for 1518-byte packets

Tudor

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And it’s got 1G RJ45 ports!!!

Tudor

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

And it’s got 1G RJ45 ports!!!

If you like the GUI of Ubiquiti fine but their are things made easy on Zyxel that I like.

ATP500 (zyxel.com)