cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hive

Sumo56
Tuning in

We have Virgin installed yesterday and now can’t get Hive heating and drip sensor.

No lights on hub sensor. Ethernet cable installed and usb lead is in the back of tv receiver.

Where do I go with this. Have Oomph package.

I have no phone connection and broadband connection throughout the house; outside room where modem is , is 38 download speed.

Before I spend all day texting Virgin and calling back engineer is there any fix to the Hive?

John 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
Does the hive connect on the 2.4GHz band?

You may need to split your 2.4 and 5GHz bands:

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

lotharmat
Community elder
Does the hive connect on the 2.4GHz band?

You may need to split your 2.4 and 5GHz bands:

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Only12months
On our wavelength

If there are no lights on the Hive Hub it isn't powered up or it has failed. power cycle the hive hub and see if the light comes on.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sumo56 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with connecting to your WiFi on some of your devices.  Have you followed the advice of your fellow community members at all?  If so, what has been the outcome?

Regards

Lee_R

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Also, @Sumo56 is the WiFi range reaching those devices?

Regards

Lee

Lee

i Am new to Virgin and have Oomph bundle.

whilst the speed in room where modem is is 153 download in the kitchen area and indeed most of the rest of the house hovers between 32 and 44.

I spent over 90 mins trying to get a booster etc and eventually a helpful chap by the name of Howard is sending one out.

The engineer who installed checked broadband speed in the house and said prob need 3.

its a dilemma as I have a 2 week cooling off period and I’m in by 4 days.

John😕

John

@Sumo56 

Regrettably, we can only send one pod at a time.  If you contact me on here I can arrange the next pod is sent to you after the original order is closed down.

Regards

Lee

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TBH - the best way to get full wifi connectivity across the whole property is to do as I and many others on here do, and forget VM wireless - it's not - shall we say - the "best".  A pod will help but is has its limitations - but as its "free" to you - its worth a go first.  You can always do the below if it doesnt sort you.

Put any Hub you get into modem mode and take control of your own routing preferences and wifi connectivity by getting your own better quality equipment.

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s) (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

Can probably be sorted for less than £100.  Depending on your property size and construction....  a 10 bedroom stone built 3 floor manor house will be more of course. 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John

much appreciated.

I was on Sky tv snd BT broadband . I am having such dreadful broadband that I just know that one Pod or whatever they send me isn’t going to be enough.

I was assured by Virgin rep that Broadband speeds would be better than I had with BT.

Provided me and the family and all our devices are located in the one room where the hub is then I’m sure that things will be ok. Unless of course we are using no more than one device!!!!

Im currently in cool off period and when this pod comes tomorrow and makes minimal difference I’m going to have a not so difficult discussion with them.

Thank you for your assistance.

John

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Why did you leave BT broadband? Were you getting dreadful wifi then? Was it a "low speed" package. BT offer full home wifi coverage - albeit at a cost of £10/month (VM pods are £5/month if you dont qualify for free ones). Albeit for your £10/m you get a 3-pack of their wifi discs which you can buy for <£100. You can see the maths dont add up - better value to bite the bullet and sort it yourself.

Before doing so you need to be aware that VM (and all others) only "guarantee full speeds" on ethernet cable connected devices. Do you have a laptop/pc where you can check for connectivity on a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable and is that stable and giving you the expected speeds.

What wifi devices are you using - are they capable of getting the faster speeds (many older ones arent) and what wifi frequecy are you connecting on?

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 package (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network (mine are separate). Sat in the same spot near the Hub, if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

The other advantage of getting your own equipment is that because it is built specifically to do the job properly, you can connect multiple devices simultaneously with no problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.