Menu
lukeilett
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hitron Router CGNV4 DHCP Issue

We have Virgin media business at 2 sites, Since both were upgraded to Hitron CGNV4-FX4 (From a super hub) we are having issues with obtaining IP addresses.

We are a restaurant so we have customers constantly on and off the wifi network, but we have a fair few wired devices which are also losing ip addresses and causing havoc.

If i try and connect wireless, on windows, ios or android it is just obtaining ip address and if it does connect I get a 169 ip address which ive read it could be an issue with the DHCP server.

If i manually put IP, gateway & dns into a device it connects perfectly no issues, again I've explained this to virgin but still saying its not the router.

Virgin they tell me its an issue with the lease times and I'll need a static IP address. But why did i never get an issue with the super hub?

Ive read a few bits online about these hitron routers, seems like a few people are having issues.

Would another router work and put the Hitron into modem only mode? Or any other suggestions?

thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hitron Router CGNV4 DHCP Issue

Depends

Personally I reckon you are overthinking it.

You are on a business account, you have SLA's and a business advisor. Get on the phone, tell THEM to sort it out and sit back and watch them finally work out its the router. We've seen similar issues with HUB3

For balance, yes another router and modem mode would work, its NOTHING to do with static IP's. That sounds suspiciously like offshore supports kind of thing....

In fact if you have any trade at all, a business class device, or a proper install of something like a couple of UBIQUITI AP's would pay dividends. Most people who are using public Wifi wont give a damn what you charge for a coffee if the WIFi is good.

robotquote.jpg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
lukeilett
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We are using those exact AP's but still having the issue connecting direct to the Virgin router or to the AP's

Do the AP's have their own DHCP server or will it always be the router that gives the IP's? (Not that clued up on all this dhcp stuff!) Could it be a setting on the Ubiquiti that's causing an issue?

But yes I think your right I'll just ring them and not let them fob me off with static IP rubbish!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@lukeilett wrote:

Would another router work and put the Hitron into modem only mode?

If you can you should.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK the access point range do not have a DHCP facility. There is an option in the software but that is for ones connected to a UAC router.

Perfectly possible to daisy chain devices- Hitron in modem mode> cheap and cheerful router doing DHCP>UAC AP's - but its a bit of a fudge when the setup SHOULD just work. If you have a spare router lying round that should get you up and running whilst you light a fire under your Virgin Media Business Advisor.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos