cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping spikes making gaming impossible

R-T-G
On our wavelength

We've been getting spikes for a few months now but in the past couple of weeks they've gotten a lot worse with frequent request timeouts that are making gaming impossible. I set up a monitor here a couple weeks ago to track what's happening

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/94973f453674d938cea05bc9b09a2f4395...

There was some work done in our area yesterday but sadly it hasn't resolved anything.

Very concerened this might be due to over subscription but hoping someone might be able to help.

------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Broadband
34 REPLIES 34

risc19
Well-informed

It very much looks like over subscription.

However if you copy and paste the text from all the tabs under 'network status' we can have a look.

R-T-G
On our wavelength

Thanks for the quick reply, can you tell me where to look for the 'network status' I've searched Thinkbroadband but can't see it.

R-T-G
On our wavelength

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State

R-T-G
On our wavelength

RTG_0-1654885609262.png

RTG_1-1654885651012.png

R-T-G
On our wavelength

RTG_0-1654885714733.png

R-T-G
On our wavelength

RTG_0-1654885783083.png

R-T-G
On our wavelength

Time Priority Description

10/06/2022 18:21:4noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/06/2022 17:25:35Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/06/2022 17:25:35criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/06/2022 17:25:34Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/06/2022 17:25:34criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/06/2022 17:25:33Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

The good news is your power levels and modulation look fine.

The bad news is you have lots of post rs errors, to me that indicates noise on the line.

These are errors that the hub was unable to correct. Pre rs errors are ok as long as its not too many.

That could just be a corroded connector/break on the coax cable going to your house.

The BQM also shows alot of packet loss (red bits).

ANY packet loss while gaming causes rubber banding and disconnections.

All in all it's sadly getting quite common recently as the service has all gone to pot.

Either way you are going to need an 'engineer' to come and have a look and find where its all gone wrong.

HOWEVER even if they fix the packet loss your latency is still absolutely god awful due to over subscription.

Any other providers in your area?

R-T-G
On our wavelength
Very sadly no other fibre providers here although we're registering interest with as many as possible. VM contract's up in 2 months but infuriatingly, even as bad as the rubber banding is the thought of going back to a 12mb landline connection fills me with horror!

I'll try to organise an engineer & hope there's a fix for the spikes.

Thanks again for the replies.