cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss in modem mode - gaming lags and zoom calls are rubbish

tclayson
Tuning in

Hi, I am experiencing high packet loss on my connection but only when the Hub 3 router is in modem mode.

I'm completely unable to play any Xbox games online as they are too laggy.

Additionally, I work from home and my colleagues and customers say that my zoom calls are choppy and that they can't always hear me.

Here is my BQM that I set up yesterday, but these issues have been ongoing for 3 days now (the connection has been fine for over a month).

dc0c6d4e8f726fd9f1701e5a5e3991c494d22df3

I have called up and messaged on the live chat and they just keep resetting my router remotely and it doesn't seem to work.

I am using the Hub 3 in modem mode with an Orbi mesh router. This setup has worked fine for more than a month, and only started having issues a few days ago with no changes made, which makes me believe it's not to do with the Orbi router. Additionally I connected a laptop via an ethernet cable directly to the Virgin Hub 3 and had the same high (10-20%) packet loss when I ran a ping test.

With the Hub 3 in router mode the connection seems to be perfectly fine, even when connecting via the Orbi still. When in modem mode the Hub 3 shows a red led status light.

What's the best way to get this fixed? 

Thanks

Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Might be a routing issue then based on the WAN IP you get either that or a bug in modem mode by firmware but that seems unlikely.

...or a change in docsis channels...

Have you tested with a PC to the hub in modem mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. PC to hub via ethernet in modem mode has the same problem.

Does this point to a problem with the hub?

Thanks for replying

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like a local network problem to me. 

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor, thanks for replying.

No local issues apparently although the Virgin Media rep tells me that "einstein has found issues with my connection (specifically) that will be solved within 24 hours" - but they've told me this twice over the last 3 days.

Additionally, it's strange that the connection works perfectly fine in router mode but not in modem mode.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@tclayson wrote:

Additionally, it's strange that the connection works perfectly fine in router mode but not in modem mode.

Yes thats the bit I don't get...do you get the same Docsis channel down/up?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tclayson,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry you have been having some issues.

I have taken a look at our systems and can see there are some power issues that require a tech.

I will get this booked in for you via PM, keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂

Zoie