cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency spikes. Please help

cbullard
Tuning in

Hi all, 

I've been having issues with latency spikes that started around 3-4 weeks ago which is making online gaming extremely frustrating and basically unplayable due to the ping spiking from 30 to 200+ constantly. I have tried contacting virgin customer support via phone and explaining the situation but always get the same basic troubleshooting suggestions that have been absolutely no help whatsoever and i just feel like i'm going round in circles with no real attempt at finding a solution or an explanation as to why this could be happening from them. I have been running a broadband quality monitor for the last week which i will attach below.

Things i have tried
Rebooting router
Resetting router settings to factory defaults 
Modem & router mode
Ethernet & Wi-fi
New cat7 ethernet cable 
Reinstalling/Updating ethernet drivers on my PC.

I would really appreciate any help in getting this resolved. Thankyou

10th Sept10th Sept9th Sept9th Sept12th Sept12th Sept11th Sept11th Sept

16 REPLIES 16

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us cbullard,

Welcome back to the community.

Can I ask regarding this matter, has our technicians advised of the potential network issues?
Let us know,

Kain

Hi @Kain_W

No after mentioning the issue to 3 technicians they have all just disregarded it being a problem in the area and say that the connection is fine when its clearly not, i haven't been able to play an online game for weeks because of this. There is clearly a problem with the broadband in my area because this is not only affecting me but also a cousin that lives close by as you can see by the graphs i posted our BQM is identical with the same spikes at the same times. I have mentioned this numerous times and feel like its just being completely ignored.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply cbullard. 

I have checked from our side and can see you have very recently had a visit from technician. Can you please let us know what has been advised? 

Also, if changes have been made by the technician, please monitor the service for 2-3 days and let us know how you get on. 

Thank you, 

Nat

Hi, yes we had a technician visit and check the cabling in and outside the property and also provided a new router but there has been no improvement to the issue after monitoring it for a week it actually appears to have gotten worse this is what my BQM graph currently looks like 
4-10-22.png
we're unable to watch youtube or any online streams without constant buffering and online gaming is completely unplayable because of constant disconnects due to the ping/latency spiking 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Cbullard.

Thank you for your post, I am sorry you are still haivng issues and I can see from our systems your hub is switched off, please ensure your hub is on and we can run some further diagnostics.

Zoie

Hi, i haven't touched the hub so there's no reason for it to have been turned off last night, it's always been online as far as i'm aware. The engineer that visited did say that my ip address would change with the new router and whatever he did with the cabling outsite maybe that hasn't updated on your system? sorry i have no idea how these things work lol

Hi cbullard

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I can see you've spoke to the team since posting and you've got a tech visit booked in. Please let us know how the visit goes.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill