cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency spikes. Please help

cbullard
Tuning in

Hi all, 

I've been having issues with latency spikes that started around 3-4 weeks ago which is making online gaming extremely frustrating and basically unplayable due to the ping spiking from 30 to 200+ constantly. I have tried contacting virgin customer support via phone and explaining the situation but always get the same basic troubleshooting suggestions that have been absolutely no help whatsoever and i just feel like i'm going round in circles with no real attempt at finding a solution or an explanation as to why this could be happening from them. I have been running a broadband quality monitor for the last week which i will attach below.

Things i have tried
Rebooting router
Resetting router settings to factory defaults 
Modem & router mode
Ethernet & Wi-fi
New cat7 ethernet cable 
Reinstalling/Updating ethernet drivers on my PC.

I would really appreciate any help in getting this resolved. Thankyou

10th Sept10th Sept9th Sept9th Sept12th Sept12th Sept11th Sept11th Sept

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Might be a known issue - or possibly an overutilisation issue

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Should it turn out to be overutilisation, then see this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi john, thankyou for the suggestions.

Both the check service webpage & calling the service status number show "no faults in my area". There was planned work in my area for 12/09/2022 which i was hoping would fix the network issues i'm having but unfortunately wasn't the case, As for overutilization in my area this was something i suspected as i have a family member that lives 5 minutes away who is also with virgin and our broadband quality monitor results are almost identical.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It may well be OU - see this thread and see if there are any similarities and pointers

See this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello cbullard,

Thank you for reaching out to us here, welcome to the community.
Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you are having with the service.

We have checked and cannot see any issues in the area.

Your hub stats are within range and looking great. Can I please ask how things are now?

Gareth_L

Hello, unfortunately nothing has changed 😞 online gaming is unplayable and it also gets worse on the weekends i have spoken to multiple agents with virgin that are all saying the same thing as you but looking at the graphs there is clearly a problem, my cousin who lives in the same area as me is experiencing the exact same and his BQM graph is identical. 

16-9-22.png 

As you can see the latency spikes increase during peak hours.

I don't know what else i can do to get this resolved other than changing providers at this point i feel like i'm at a dead end with virgin

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I wonder if its possible how each upstream channel gets to the CMTS that each channel outputs a Ethernet port that VM could QoS/BQM each link to 20Mb thats if no one drops Modulation to improve upstream buffering.
---------------------------------------------------------------

@cbullard wrote:

Hello, unfortunately nothing has changed 😞 online gaming is unplayable and it also gets worse on the weekends i have spoken to multiple agents with virgin that are all saying the same thing as you but looking at the graphs there is clearly a problem, my cousin who lives in the same area as me is experiencing the exact same and his BQM graph is identical. 

16-9-22.png 

As you can see the latency spikes increase during peak hours.

I don't know what else i can do to get this resolved other than changing providers at this point i feel like i'm at a dead end with virgin

Indeed there is nothing else you can do other than change providers as it is clearly a capacity issue in your area and these things are NOT easily or quickly resolved. If you think of it like a congested road, the road itself is fine, no amount of resurfacing will fix the congestion issue, there simply needs to be ‘more road’ and just as this isn’t a trivial thing to do, often neither is providing more capacity to an area.

In VM’s slight defence here, they never make any promises or guarantees regarding latency, so when they say ‘they can’t see any issues’ what they mean is that the statistics of your connection are fine, ie power levels, S/N ratios etc. Going back to my car analogy earlier, this is like taking your car to the garage to demand they fix the issue of being stuck in a traffic jam every day! Are you getting at least 50% of the rated download speed for whatever tier you pay for? If so then, legally VM have honoured their side of the contract (hint: always read the small print).

Now are you outside the minimum contract term, ie can you just give the required 30 days notice and leave without any penalty? If so, then good that’s what you probably need to do. 

Hey @cbullard, thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to see the spikes in the connection. 😞
Are you able to confirm if this is just on your line or are there others in the area with the same issue?
Let us know and we can move forward with this.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello, thanks for the response. I can confirm this is also happening to my cousin who lives in the same area we are having the same latency issues and our BQM graphs are almost identical. He has had 3 engineers visit his house and check his connection and they have all said they can't see any problem and are disregarding/ignoring our concern about it being a problem in the area.