cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency Ethernet Hub 3

Spammy1
Joining in

So for just over a month my ping/latency has increased from a stable 10-12ms on ookla speedtest to now 20-22 with constant ping spikes. I’ve ran tests on cmd pinging google with no packet loss and even on the router settings yet again showing no packet loss but this sudden increase in ping with no changes has me concerned as when I am gaming this is a massive issue and I cannot play.

I now have an ethernet directly connected to the router and the ping remains the same with the spikes still occurring. My download and upload speeds are great on and off the boosters and ethernet that is not a complaint. However the ping/latency and jitter is unbearable for me and my brother and has occurred with NO changes it was random. 

I’ve called support multiple times and they’ve given me many solutions of which havnt worked however I cannot complain about their customer service as it was great and they understood the issue. The problem is because the “Download and upload speeds” are not at fault virgin are unable to send an engineer out to assist me despite every other solution not working. 

I’m starting to think there is a congestion problem in my area but they haven’t said so otherwise so I’m not too sure but this has been going on for a month now. I am practically on top of the hub connected via ethernet and the ping is still high with ping spikes. 

Is anyone from virgin support able to give an answer on whether it’s faulty hardware or a congestion issue in my area and able to give an approximate fix time ? started roughly 16/03/2021 and still hasn’t gone back to normal. 

21 REPLIES 21

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Setup a BQM then post back the link to the live graph.

It will show us any issues such as congestion

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

the spike at 3pm was probably people coming home from school but even at all times the low spikes you can see affect me hugely when gaming with the random big spike here and there as you could see. Again, it’s noticeable and frustrating as I was at 10-12ms before now this increase that’s kept higher. How do i see if there’s anything wrong in my area or hardware ?

Spammy1
Joining in

Has anyone checked my graph? Also how do I see if their is a congestion problem in my area? If it's not that then any ideas of what it could be?

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Spammy1,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum - I'm sorry that you're having problems with your broadband connection, it certainly sounds frustrating!

I've been able to locate your account using your Forum details, and I'm afraid that I can't see any issues from our end. Your upstream and downstream levels all look good, and we aren't aware of any congestion problems in your area. I can also see from your BQM that your connection has been stable over the past 24 hours. Are you still experiencing issues?

Please let us know if you are still having problems, I'll be more than happy to take a closer look at things for you.

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

There's no congestion there - to be honest that looks like a normal VM connection BQM.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

sophist
Trouble shooter

With regards your latency to speedtest/ookla - I *think* that VM used to host a bunch of their servers on the VM network (predominantly for VM customers) whereas now they don't, so the increase in latency for that specifically can be explained because your connection is now having to leave the virgin network whereas before, it was probably just going to your "local" VM PoP. 

there doesn't look to be anything wrong with your BQM - an obvious hint of being more heavily utilised during the day, but pretty stable and very definitely within the bounds of what would be considered "good" imho.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Try with the hub in modem mode you can test this without a router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah all speeds seem to be okay but unstable to be honest. Even connected to the router via ethernet the ping remains higher than what it was and constantly spiking 😞 I know it doesn't look to bad on the graph but I can definitely feel the difference in game when im lagging. Do you think a new router could potentially fix it as there seems to be no other explainable error?