cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Latency spikes...Help

Dainch
Tuning in

Hi Folks, long time lurker first time poster. I've been having issues with latency spikes since about october last year on the hub 4. Had countless engineer visits that tell me everything they see is fine and can't find any faults however I've done the ofcom speed thing and its came back saying i can leave penalty free but neither them or virgin can tell me why i can leave or what the problem is. I want to get this issue fixed as the other broadband options in my area are very poor. I have attached a few screenshots from the BQM which i have showed every engineer thats visited and they've told me they dont care or use the BQM that everyone on here seems to want me to use. I don't have the numbers here but i know my power levels are all about +4/5. Is there anything i can possibly do? Is it just a simple case of over utilisation? Can anything be done about that? Honestly so fed up, pointless have 1Gb Internet when i cant even game without packet loss and latency spikes. Thanks for any help

Screenshot_20220313-143852_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220313-143900_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220313-143913_Chrome.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Dainch 

The BQM pictures have been rejected as they contain your IP address.

Either edit out the ip address and post again, or post your BQM using the method below (it strips out the ip address)

On Think Broadband go to your  BQM and under the options you will see

Today | Previous Days | Edit | Delete | Share

Click on the Share option and on the screen that opens click on Share 

On the next screen click on Share Live Graph

Copy the text in the Direct Link box (beware there may be more text than you can see)

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Dainch 

The BQM pictures have been rejected as they contain your IP address.

Either edit out the ip address and post again, or post your BQM using the method below (it strips out the ip address)

On Think Broadband go to your  BQM and under the options you will see

Today | Previous Days | Edit | Delete | Share

Click on the Share option and on the screen that opens click on Share 

On the next screen click on Share Live Graph

Copy the text in the Direct Link box (beware there may be more text than you can see)

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
four types of causes of spikes can happen
1. Upstream channels maxed out in area
2. modem stalls in needing to send stuff
3. VM ping your connection
4. You have something downloading or uploading maxing out your upto speed for a second
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @legacy1 thanks for the reply. I guess id have to call and ask if the upstream channels are maxed out? I do feel like the modem itself stalls but this is the 2nd one ive had in so not sure thats my problem. The VM ping thing doesn't seem to work sorry its just listing thousands of port numbers but no actual data? I also dont think the upload/download is an issue as i rarely ever do any of them apart from the odd game update. Appreciate your help.

Hi Dainch, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community instead of lurking in the shadows 😄 

I'm sorry to hear about the continued issues you're having with your broadband connection. 

Checking our systems today I can see there is a visit booked with a principle engineer to come and check things further for you. 

Please pop back and let us know how this visit goes and we can go from there 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs