cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with upgrading my Wifi

wobblewoo
On our wavelength

Hello all.

I have a Virgin media Hub 3 which works well for my wired connections but is terrible on WiFi. It's forever dropping connections and staying off for a while. It gets fairly heavy traffic but nothing excessive.

To compound the issue, i dont get any WiFi in the front bedroom all of 10m from the hub, admittedly through walls and also nothing much in the garden, about 20m away.

It's not helped by the VM3 Hub being in the alcove by a chimney stack, i know this but can't move it as it has to be near the Docsis cable - or whatever its called.

So was going to put it in Modem mode so it can concentrate on being a modem and then get the routing and wifi done by something else which i can reposition.

Ive got a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR which is a long range access point and was going to get an Internet Gateway (also from Ubiquiti) which will also be stored in the alcove and then using PoE mount the Ubiquiti access point higher up on the ceiling with a cable thats already been run.

or...

Do i get something like a Google Nest Wifi system, which i can also move the router unit and then put an access point or two in the dead spots.

Ive got numerous hubs and a fair bit of IT experience so the networking won't be an issue.

Heres the products:
https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/
https://www.ui.com/unifi-routing/usg/
https://store.google.com/gb/config/nest_wifi?hl=en-GB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I use all Ubiquiti equipment and it works extremely well on my 1G connection. The USG is rather long in the tooth, but still an excellent router. I use a Dream Machine Pro, they also produce just a Dream Machine all-in-one router/WAP/switch. I have a DMP as I have Ubiquiti cameras and Doorbell/camera. Best to do some more research.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No contest. The Ubiquiti gear is far better quality - stick with their range rather than equipment from a data collection company 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I use all Ubiquiti equipment and it works extremely well on my 1G connection. The USG is rather long in the tooth, but still an excellent router. I use a Dream Machine Pro, they also produce just a Dream Machine all-in-one router/WAP/switch. I have a DMP as I have Ubiquiti cameras and Doorbell/camera. Best to do some more research.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Many thanks. This is what I figured and I'm hoping that moving the Ubiquiti access point to a better position will cure my deadspot areas. I see they do Amplifi products so need to do a bit of research, maybe in a Unifi forum. 

wobblewoo
On our wavelength

I did see the Dream Machine and considered it but already owning the access point means I should probably integrate it, although second hand values are fairly good.

Think I'll carry this on in a Unifi forum. Many thanks. 

Doorbell and cameras sound excellent. Research here I come. 

Zyxel do good AP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF2BE7s9oE
---------------------------------------------------------------

wobblewoo
On our wavelength

Thank-you but i already have the Uniquiti product, not Wifi 6 mind you.

Initial test of the Ubiquiti AP in the office (ive plugged it into the VM hub for now):
VM network approx 2Mbps vs the Ubiquiti 43Mbps. I'll take that as a win for now.

Speeds nearer the router are almost the same at around 220Mbps

Thanks for your help all.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You need this......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Amplifi-Alien-Router-Ready/dp/B08VMTTK82/

Ubiquiti Wifi6 Alien 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

wobblewoo
On our wavelength

Initial tests show a marked increase in the problem office after using my Ubiquiti AP.

The question now is do i get a DreamMachine, an Internet Gateway or an Edge Router.

I saw that - bit pricey though.