cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with pod/ethernet connection

craigy3
Tuning in

Hi folks 

looking for a little help from someone in the know. Got my first WiFi pod delivered the other day and I wanted to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the pod to give it a solid connection to then boost WiFi. However when I plug in the cable to it the lights flash for a second or two different colours then go out. No WiFi signal is present from it. 

cabke is definitely working as I tested it using my Sonos one and it played internet radio without a glitch. 

am I missing something ? What am I doing wrong ? 

cheers 

29 REPLIES 29

Exactly. There's literally no need to disable it whether for commercial, technical or other reasons.

Agree with this @jphobbs 👍

Why make the device less useful for customers? I'd love to benefit from the Plume Pod's mesh WiFi capabilities at home!

Same issues , Same thinking as someone above . Why can I not just cable this to the router then expect higher broadcast WiFi ? Poster above doing the same …. 

Same issues , Same thinking as someone above . Why can I not just cable this to the router then expect higher broadcast WiFi ? Poster above doing the same

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the Pods Help section.

Can I use an Ethernet cable with the WiFi Pod?

If the mesh WiFi Pod’s placed near your device, like your games console, it’s always a good idea to plug it in. We recommend using a Cat6 Ethernet cable for the best experience.

You might need to turn the WiFi Pod that’s connected to your device off and on again for it to be recognised and added to your network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks but I mean from the router to the pod. To give the pod more Mbps on WiFi devices that connect to it 

Yesterday I realised that my Pod was not working as on checking the speed in the downstairs room where it was situated the speed was 45 (had ben 250). Turning it off and on had no effect despite there being no lights showing on restart (indicating all was well). My Virgin4 hub is upstairs next to my PC and that is connected by ethernet cable giving me 'SamKnows real speed' of over 1000.   I plugged my pod into a socket and connected the ethernet cable to it instead of the Hub (now the PC is getting the signal from the Pod's ethernet port) and nothing happened. The PC had no signal. I then unplugged the Pod and plugged it back in again and then it worked. The PC was only getting the signal (top speed) from the Pod (my PC is old and has no wifi ability).

This proves that the output ethernet socket does work and the initial test also confirmed my suspicion that the Pod was not working downstairs. It does now. I obviously rebooted something in the Pod - a reset button is sadly lacking and needed.

Hey chrisjames, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some pod issues.

Please can you try these steps for me and let me know if this fixes the issues.

Unplug any Ethernet cables attached to the router and wait at least 30 seconds, then plug them back in. Plug the router's power cable back into the outlet. Plug the modem back in and wait until the modem has finished powering on. Wait at least 2 minutes for your Pods' LEDs to stop blinking.

If not please do reach back out and we can take a look into this for you. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Sorry Matt but my message clearly states that after initial problems I did get it working completely. I also pointed out that the ethernet port on the pod did work as an output contrary to what others had said...

Sorry for the misunderstanding @chrisjames and thank you for your observations. We are glad to see the issue was resolved. We will take this feedback onboard and pass it on to the relevant team for future improvement.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs