Menu
NikM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Help with choosing a Router?

Dear All,

We recently returned to Virgin Media for our Broadband and Phone services. Had a terrible first week, with the broadband disconnecting repeatedly. After initially blaming VM for not activating the broadband properly in our area, the Engineer returned two days later with a new Superhub 3.

Whilst initially better, we started getting the same problems after a few hours. We currently have our router plugged into a Netgear switch, which is then connected to a patch panel, and we generally have about 30 devices connected by ethernet cable to the switch and a further 5 WiFi devices.

I have managed to improve stability by plugging a few devices directly into the Hub instead of the switch, as I read on the internet about the Hub 3 having problems when connected to lots of devices? But, we still have occasional dropouts on some of our other devices. It does seem strange as we had Vigin broadband about 6 years ago, with the same IT set-up, and we didn't have these problems.

So, my question is, should I buy a cable router and plug it in between the Superhub (in modem mode) and our Netgear switch? Please could I get some advice on a good router that won't break the bank?

I'm thinking of replacing our ageing Netgear WAP's as well - would it therefore be better to buy a MESH system instead of just a router (i.e are there MESH systems that would do the job of a router just as well) - or do I still need to get both?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Nik

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help with choosing a Router?

Most mesh systems act as a router so you’d have the Hub in modem mode

They tend to be expensive though depending on how many nodes you need. If you do go that route and you can’t connect them together wired then look for one with extra dedicated WiFi processors for the “backhaul”

If you just want a cheap router then the linkssys ea7500 looks to be a bargain at the moment at around £50 at Amazon or ebuyer (sorry can’t post link on work phone)

Another option for your WiFi if you have wire running to required locations is Ubiquiti AP’s or similar (with a router like the Linksys or one with no WiFi of its own)

Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are going to use the router just as a router not WiFi and Network Switch (as you already have one) I would recomend a Ubiquiti Router as well as Ubiquiti Wireless Access Points. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

If you are going to use the router just as a router not WiFi and Network Switch (as you already have one) I would recomend a Ubiquiti Router as well as Ubiquiti Wireless Access Points. 

Sorry to butt in here Tudor, but can the Ubiquiti discs connect just by wifi (I know they need power) to the one wired into the Router or Hub and then their nearest neighbour to extend the network ( a bit like I have my Airport Expresses's extending my Airport Extreme wifi networks.  Or do they all need to be cabled back to the router ?  I know Cable will be better - but is it the only way ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@Tudor wrote:

Sorry to butt in here Tudor, but can the Ubiquiti discs connect just by wifi (I know they need power) to the one wired into the Router or Hub and then their nearest neighbour to extend the network ( a bit like I have my Airport Expresses's extending my Airport Extreme wifi networks.  Or do they all need to be cabled back to the router ?  I know Cable will be better - but is it the only way ?

The disks do support wireless uplink via the controller.  Not sure how good it is as I assume it will take out one band.  They also now sell different form factor devices for mesh. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Ubiquiti AC AP Pro’s I have will work in either mode, although as you state need power. They are PoE devices, supplied with injectors, but I have mine wired into Ubiquiti 8 port PoE switches. In repeater mode you just leave the input socket on the injector empty. As years ago I wired all my house up with at least 2 ports in every room and patch panel under the stairs, I always use Ethernet cable connections.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
NikM
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Had a quick google and am looking at  - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-MAX-STREAM-MU-MIMO-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B01B65ZNXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-EdgeRouter-Gigabit-Router/dp/B011N1IT2A/ref=sr_1_15?s=com...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-ERLITE-ERLite-3-Router/dp/B00HXT8EKE/ref=sr_1_32?s=comput...

Would any of these work for me? I am reasonably tech-savvy, but some reviewers have said the Ubiquiti gear needs to be set-up by IT professionals?

I might start just with a new router and see if that sorts out the broadband dropouts. As I mentioned, the PC's and TV are stable now they're plugged straight into the router, but the WiFi in the house keeps dropping out - and I don't know whether it's because of the SuperHub conflicting with the switch OR the Netgear AP's are dying (they're 6 years old and hardwired via PoE). If I do need to replace them then would these be the best ones to go for - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_29?s=comp...

Thanks again!

Kind regard,

NikM

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I do not like the Netgear one, not for technical issues, but it just looks ugly. In my home you can see no internet equipment it’s all hidden away.

The Ubiquiti WAP would be fine, you can just mount them on the wall or the ceiling where they look like a fire alarm. I believe you can just set them up from an app, although I use the free Ubiquiti UniFi software on one of my Raspberry Pi’s. Currently got five of them!

The first Ubiquiti router is not powered, it needs a PoE injector, I use the second one the EdgeRouter Lite, it has an easy setup from a web browser, uses scripts to setup as one WAN and two LAN segments. Also has a very powerful CLI. The web browser setup lets you do things like port forwarding, DHCP server with reserved addresses, masquerade, packet inspection etc, etc. Most of which you would probably not need!

The Ubiquiti forum is very active with many users in Europe and the US. They are always helpful answers to most questions you can think of. As an aside, I also have a Ubiquiti NVR and web cameras.

tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think you said you've got 5 APs?  Would you need that many Unifi APs ?  If so that would be expensive but hopefully you'd need less of them, and maybe they'd take the same PoE

The linksys sounds like it would be a stopgap if you went for it, but may cover more of the house (is it massively large or very thick walls) 

Tudor
Hero
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry bad phraseology, I have 2 Ubiquiti AC AP Pro’s and 5 Raspberry Pi’s.

0 Kudos