cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with WiFi pods, connection still poor upstair

Makka7779
On our wavelength

Hey, is there any one here that can help me with these WiFi pods, currently have 2 pods and the router to cover 3 story 4 bed building!   Always had a problem getting signal on the top floor, 2 rear bedrooms on the middle floor and my WiFi cameras on the rear exterior wall, all used to connect to our BT hub fine, unless weather was bad and one cam would loose signal in the alley way! The virgin hub is in same location as the old BT. I've put a pod on the landing above the modem and one in the kitchen (can connect to 1 camera)  and one pod on the middle floor landing but the connectivity in the back bedroom on the middle floor is still poor and the top floor I've had to convert the phone sockets to eathernet to shut the moaning up about lagging games consoles and the sorts 😱 Im wondering if there are any tips or tricks to get the best coverage out of these pods, as I'm on WiFi max I can get another pod, I was hoping the 2 would do as I'm not keen on things being plugged into sockets and left on constantly 

I set them up according to the instructions in the box but sure some tech wizard here can help "optimize" these 👍🏻

Any help and info would be great so don't be shy👍🏻

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Makka7779, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us in the Community

We're sorry to hear you're having some continued issues with your WiFi service. 

Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power and signal levels. The uptime is showing as 24 days so the hub could benefit from a refresh. To do this, just switch off at the mains and leave off for 5 minutes or so before popping back on. There are no faults open in your area that may be affecting you either. 
There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here 👉 WiFi Help
The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 
If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here
Finally, as you do have the WiFi Max service, the next step would be to introduce a 3rd and final pod to see if this resolves.
Please keep us posted on how you get on. 🙂

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

carl_pearce
Community elder

Having such a large home I would suggest investing in a mesh system, making use of your ethernet connectivity to create an 'ethernet backhaul'. This means each node does not rely on a wireless connection to boost the signal.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Makka7779, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us in the Community

We're sorry to hear you're having some continued issues with your WiFi service. 

Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power and signal levels. The uptime is showing as 24 days so the hub could benefit from a refresh. To do this, just switch off at the mains and leave off for 5 minutes or so before popping back on. There are no faults open in your area that may be affecting you either. 
There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here 👉 WiFi Help
The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 
If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here
Finally, as you do have the WiFi Max service, the next step would be to introduce a 3rd and final pod to see if this resolves.
Please keep us posted on how you get on. 🙂

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Makka7779
On our wavelength

Hi Kath, and thank you for your response, have been extremely busy over the last few days,. I have tried all the above! I have now got it better than it was but it's still using an old virgin wifi booster (2 separate plugs one connected with eather etc lead the other in another plug socket located on the top floor landing but that old booster then makes the others not work so well as everything wants to connect that. In light of the other post on here, it's a new build house (4 years old ) and they unlike many of the other new builds we didn't get eather etc connections in all rooms and house was pre fitted with a BT hub in the cupboard that there modem and phone line connects too, after virgin install, I turned off the hub in the cupboards and rewired the telephone line to an eather etc faceplate on the ground floor that was connected to the phone socket on the top floor (also converted the face plate to eathernet, but it's only available in that one room upstairs ! For my.outdoor wifi cctv I've tried using high gain antennas but to no avail 

@Kath, I would like to try the 3rd pod as that would enable me to remove the old brick type virgin booster that's interfering! If this fails, I will look at either a wifi mesh system, or something my son has talked about called a nighthawk? I've been told virgin supply a better modem/hub that's more powerful than the one I have, is this something I would need to upgrade the package to eligible for? 

On the plus side of all of this, it has forced my son in the back bedroom to use his PS4 a lot less👍🏻 LOL, can I just reboot the modem and this won't effect the pods? Or nothing will need to be set up again? Or should I reboot all of them at the same time? 

Thanks for coming back to us @Makka7779.

Can you please confirm if you can remove the older Virgin Media Wi-Fi extender and then run a scan via the Connect App, to see if a blackspot is recognised?

When you perform speed tests in this area, what speeds do you achieve?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn