cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help broadband went offline!

bubbleshoot
On our wavelength

Help!

Broadband went offline for around 20 minutes. Website is not recording a fault, no error logs reported on the router. Tried network checkup but it didn't get past 7% before cutting off. No warning whatsoever of the outage.

I've lost SR in competitive due to this. How do I get this back?

What caused this? Please help.

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
These things happen. What is SR that you lost? What are you expecting to happen to get SR back?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Clearly you have never worked in networking before - These things do not just happen.There is always a cause, I have a near new router. Outages like this should not just happen, as promised previously. We need to work out the rootcause and ensure it doesn't occur again.

SR is related to competitive ranking on games.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve worked with large networks for years and problem happen, it’s a fact of life. Users change their equipment their self, use non VM coax, leave connections unterminated, cars hit street boxes, other utilities dig up VM cables, it goes on and on. You just have to live with it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

bubbleshoot
On our wavelength

By all means, feel free to live with an inferior flappy connection. I intend to get what I pay for.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well when these things happened to me... a United Utilities Engineer (sic) had cut through the VM cable whilst laying a water pipe. They also disconnect customers when they are resegmenting the network - or similar. Usually in the wee small hours to minimise customer disruption if possible.  Or if they have to move your connection in the street cab to accommodate other customers it will be a short disconnect.

There is no Service Level Agreement on our residential packages - you need to be on a Business package for that (dunno how much use it will be though) - so small breaks like this will not be covered.

If you want compensation then see these for a starter...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Good Afternoon @bubbleshoot, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and I'm sorry to hear of the recent unexpected drop in connection!

Can you please advise me if there have been any further issues, or even if this is still ongoing?

I've been able to look into the local area and currently cannot see any faults recognised.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi david,

It has just occurred again tonight. There is nothing more I can do other than use my own hotspot which at present is more reliable.

The internet went off for around 5 minutes and then came back on. I have tried to check if VM was down but the website is again under maintenance.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @bubbleshoot 

The website is up and running again now.

Apart from the Check service status at the top of the page which usually only identifies large scale dropouts  you could also try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Is there any way we can stablise this connection to stop it from happening again?