cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - WiFi disconnects every night

Saza1
Joining in

I’ve been with virgin for a week 

since day 1 every night around half 7 we are kicked off the Wi-Fi. With the message “ cannot connect to server “
every phone, tv. Only the Xbox’s don’t disconnect. 
We’ve done every trouble shooting that’s been recommended. I’ve called them every night with the issue. Got to wait 2 days for an engineer now. 
I also can’t connect to the app  
Any advice? I’m getting really frustrated 

thanks

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
How long is the disconnection for?

Do ethernet cable connected devices drop out at the same time? If you dont know can you check to help determine if its just a wifi interference issue or network connection related.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We don’t have anything to connect with the cable to test. 

it’s started at half 7 tonight and still ongoing. Xbox’s are fine though. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Xbox's have ethernet ports as do most TV's.

And any other device can be connected on an adaptor to any port the device actually has.

If it is just wifi - see this...
---------------------------------

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Saza1 👋 

Thanks for posting this on our forums, I am sorry you've been having some issues with your broadband connection lately. 

I have already gone ahead and checked your services on my side and I have detected a short term connectivity issue on your service. 

We need to complete a Pin hole reset of the Hub in an attempt to resolve any unfound issues. Do this by holding a pen in the reset hole on the back of the Hub for 30 seconds. This will reboot the Hub and reset all Hub settings to default. If you have made any changes to the Hub's wireless settings you may need to reconnect your wireless devices to the Hub as the WiFi settings will now be back to default.

Our diagnostics on your home network and Hub have not found any issues that could account for connection drop-outs. This means that the issues are most likely due to the equipment being used in the home.

All of the available checks have been performed on our network, however, you can also view the service status in your area.

Additionally, it is beneficial to reboot both your Hub and devices occasionally to help maintain a healthy network connection.

Please let us know if this helps your connection issues. 

Thanks, 

Megan_L

Virgin have sent me a replacement hub, the hub 3 was causing the issues. 

thanks everyone