cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Hub 3 no longer recognising HP printer

rubymcqueen
Tuning in

I've no idea why but Virgin wifi is no longer recognising my HP Envy printer.

On the printer I get the error message: "Unable to connect to the network. This network uses unsupported type of authentication or encryption."

I've had a look on the router web page but I can't see anything "obvious" that's awry.

All my other devices working fine. Any help gratefully received!

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Wireless printers can often be hard to connect to begin with and often do not stay connected that reliably.

You can try to clear the printer's existing network settings, then try to reconnect to the VM hub afresh. You haven't said what model of HP Envy printer you have but a generic explanation is here for HP models. If you search on your exact model you may find something more specific

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/ish_2819263-1626554-16

If the above does not work, my own experience of setting up HP Envy wireless printers has been that the least-difficult way was to download the full HP driver/utility software to a computer, then plug in the printer via a USB cable and do all of the setup and config (including wireless) when connected via USB.

Richw1982
Rising star

Wi-Fi doesn't recognize the printer, rather the printer would recognize the Wi-Fi,  by the sounds of it, if all other devices are connected its an issue with the printer

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi rubymcqueen, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with connecting the printer to your wireless network. 

As all the other devices are working, it suggests the issue is with the printer rather than the Hub. There is a great link from goslow that may help you in their post above. 

Should that not work, it may be beneficial for you to separate your WiFi bands and then connect the printer to each of these to see which one it connects to best. To do this, follow these steps: 

•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*    Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable

Come back to us and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

TheQuickAnswer1
Joining in

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG