Menu
THOMO2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Heard bad reports about the Virgin Media Hub 3

I’m getting Fibre Optic Broadband along with the Virgin Media Anytime on my Telephone. I will be getting the Virgin Media Hub 3 of which I’ve just been reading bad reports which has me quite worried. How do other Virgin Media subscribers find there Virgin Media Hub 3 and do any you have any major problems with that equipment?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Heard bad reports about the Virgin Media Hub 3

Literally every hub from every ISP gets slated online

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 is mediocre. It has a feeble CPU and falls over if you overload it with too many devices. But now that they have rolled out the update to fix the latency issues (which I'm guessing is what you've read about) it's functional and works fine for most customers. I've had mine for nearly 3 years (not by choice mind, but my Superhub 1 died - that was an awful device as well) and I can't say it's ever caused me any major problems. It supports and utilises the full speeds that I subscribe to and I use WiFi extenders to boost the signal upstairs. If you want better performance, stick it in modem mode and use your own router. We all hope the Hub 4, when it is released, is a better piece of kit.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
SDC
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@av-115 wrote:

... If you want better performance, stick it in modem mode and use your own router...

Agreed. Get a decent router and secure home networking becomes a doddle. I went cheap & cheerful with an Asus RT-AC66U_B1 from the sales a while back and it's been brilliant... superb signal quality/strength/range, regular firmware updates, 3rd-party firmware for the adventurous, network printer setup was simple via USB, spare HDD via USB for rudimentary network storage, VPN-friendly, works like a dream with Devolo dLAN Duo extenders to give wired or wireless access anywhere on the property. What's not to like?

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------