cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to frequently reset computer's WiFi adaptor

Tim_Bubb
Joining in

With both my PC and laptop I lose WiFi connectivity several times a day and have to reset my WiFi adaptor.  This drives me particularly crazy during Teams sessions where I have to reset up to four times an hour.  Virgin WiFi is the common factor as both computers are in the same room with different hardware.  Both running Windows 10.  One is a new Surface Pro laptop, one is an older Acer Tower unit with an external WiFi module.  Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Update the wifi drivers?

And/or use a wired connection instead.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks Gary.  Moving to a wired connection is too defeatist for me, I certainly don't want to trail cables upstairs and all round the house.  I've updated all the drivers as well, so they should be ok.

It's nothing to do with being defeatist - wired connections will always offer rock solid stability over a wireless one - especially for work related activities.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try splitting the SSID and switching off the Smart Optimisation on the wifi.  This will allow you to set the bands and channels manually so the "intelligent" wifi does not move your kit between bands and channels unnecessarily. 

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Tim_Bubb, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us in the Forums. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with disconnections. Our diagnostics on your home network and Hub have not found any issues that could account for connection drop-outs. All power levels are at optimal levels, I'm not seeing any errors and there are no open faults in your area either.

Looking at the WiFi side of the network, there is some congestion and low signal being detected which could account for dropouts. If the devices are quite a way from the Hub, it may be worth looking at adding WiFi pod to your network to help improve things. You can read more about that here

These links will also help to improve things.

Please pop back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,  

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for this.  What I've done is to rename just one of the channels and now my troublesome laptop connection is the only thing connected to it (the 5GHz one).  I'll see how it goes, especially now everything else has to share the 2.4GHz channel, so thanks in advance!   If it doesn't work then no harm done.  At least I know how to change the channel names now!

Thanks for checking Kath.  My first attempt to solve my problem was to install a WiFi booster.  So I would hope that the signal strength is ok.  Certainly the Virgin Media App on my phone seems to think all is well in that department.  Let's see if renaming my 5GHz channel and only allowing my device on it helps.