Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a connection revamp (Help)

JayKay70
Joining in

Hi,

At present i have:

Virgin Super Hub 3 with a 516mbps connection
3 x TP-Link TL-PA8010PKIT V3 Power line adapters (these are used for my sons 3 x Xbox Series X)
Total connections:
3 x Xbox Series X using power line adapters (main adapter has a direct connection to router)
1 x Xbox Series X direct connection to router
1 x P.C direct connection to router
2 x T.V's direct connection to router
4 x Mobile phones wireless connection to router
3 x Ipads wireless connection to router

I am changing over too:

Virgin Super Hub 5 with a 1130mbps connection BUT this time i will be using the router in modem mode and will be using a Asus RT-AX86U router for my connections.

I know nothing about routers/modems etc etc some if any tech heads out there can help.

My questions are:

If i ditch the power line adapters and go wireless will i get a better connection due to the new setup?
If i change the t.v's connection to wireless with the new system will it be as good as the old direct connection due to the new setup?

My aim is to just have 1 x Xbox and 1 x P.C to have a direct connection to the router, everything else wireless.

Do i connect the super hub port 4 (2.5Gbps) too the WAN (blue) port or the (2.5Gbps) WAN (green) port of the Asus RT-AX86U

I use my Xbox Series X for most of my gaming so i presume i will plug that into the gaming port of the Asus RT-AX86U? and just plug my P.C into any of the other LAN ports 1-4 on the Asus RT-AX86U?

Also i noticed the Asus RT-AX86U has a lot of configuration options for the router and gaming, any recommendations?

Lastly is there a certain method/order when switching the Super Hub 5 into modem mode and then connecting the Asus RT-AX86U to it for the first time?

All the best

Jay

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To get you going - I would say remove the powerlines for the time being and see how the new set up behaves - you can always reset them and add them back in later if needed (may be better for the gaming consoles).

Plug cables into the Asus as you said.

Someone else needs to comment on the Asus settings.

Connect it all this way....

Switch on and set up your own router (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway.

Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode..

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

...and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4/5!).  Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your own router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port intto the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.