Menu
stoke_ferry
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Has apparent Router Firmware update upset my wifi?

At Midnight it was all working OK.  this morning all wifi - connected devices were "connected" with full signal but couldn't access the internet. Network log says there was a s/w update at 2am via Config File. I have rebooted the Hub 3.0 four times today but it says all working OK and finds all connected devices. So tonight, with more time, I accessed the diagnostics via Ethernet and they say all connected wireless devices are too far away and to move them closer to the Hub. This includes one that is over 30ft away, as well as one that is 4 ft away, and had no issue for the last 18 months! I moved one closer and then they were all started working fine.The Diagnostics say the Speed is 54MB on wireless devices, 1000 on Ethernet so it appears all seems to be working OK. I ran a Speedtest resulting in 47.9Mb download, 11.8Mb upload, ping 20ms, as expected but it still says to move the devices closer due to low signal strength. Do I have a problem or has firmware update screwed the router in some way and it is miscalculating signal strength? The S/W Version: 9.1.1802.610

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has apparent Router Firmware update upset my wifi?

A balls up with new firmware maybe try a hub reset?

For things to work as it meant to your could use modem mode and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi stoke_ferry,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

Can I just confirm are you still having issues with this?

^Martin

0 Kudos
stoke_ferry
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin

Well, it's still the same. All devices working OK, including the one 20ft away but the diagnostics still say to move all the devices closer to the Hub due to a low signal level! All devices show full bars for signal level.Still getting 230Mb + over Ethernet, 48Mb over wireless, and as it's not causing any issues I'm fine with it as it is. Just seems a bit strange though.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Right I see. 

Would you be able to confirm:

Which hub you have?

&

What devices you have used via a Wireless connection?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@stoke_ferry wrote:

Hi Martin

Well, it's still the same. All devices working OK, including the one 20ft away but the diagnostics still say to move all the devices closer to the Hub due to a low signal level! All devices show full bars for signal level.Still getting 230Mb + over Ethernet, 48Mb over wireless, and as it's not causing any issues I'm fine with it as it is. Just seems a bit strange though.

If everything is working as you expect it to, then ignore the diagnostics.  The VM hubs have many, many bugs and this may well be another of them.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos