Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked network

vinayquestion
Joining in

Hi,

Someone called our home phone claiming to be from Virgin

They said our home network had been hacked and people could steal our password and card details.

My wife wasn't sure if it was a scam or a genuine virgin employee.

She said she would call Virgin herself, but as usual, there is really no way to contact Virgin on the phone.

Has anyone had something similar?

4 REPLIES 4

PhilipF
Superfast
Ignore.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@vinayquestion wrote:

Hi,

<snip>

This was the format of a common scam attempt. The people likely to be stealing your passwords and card details were the people making the call!

The scammers advise you of a (fictitious) 'problem'. They offer to fix the imaginary problem via remote access to your computer. From there they will try to defraud you (by means of identity theft, stealing other personal info or by trying to access your online banking).

When they call again, hang up without speaking to them. Any interaction with them will just result in further scam calls.

ozsat
Superstar

I've never had issues contacting VM during daytime hours - but they will have no idea if you network has been hacked.

Ignore such calls or even wind them up for qa bit of fun by going along with them but not actually doing anything on your computer.

@vinayquestion wrote:

Hi,

They said our home network had been hacked and people could steal our password and card details.

My wife wasn't sure if it was a scam or a genuine virgin employee.

She said she would call Virgin herself, but as usual, there is really no way to contact Virgin on the phone.

Has anyone had something similar?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @vinayquestion 

Thank you so much for your first post and welcome to our community forums, were glad to have you on the team! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you received one of these calls, it does sound as though it was a phishing call as our community ha advised. 

As long as no personal details have been given there is no reason to worry, but you can view our help page on how to deal with phishing emails and calls online here

Thank you.