cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 5 keeps dropping internet for a few seconds

trekkiebob
On our wavelength

Hi

I have used the Hub 2 in Modem only mode for years and it was rock solid and never gave an issue.

I had an email late in 2022 to upgrade from the hub 2 to the new Hub 5. What a mistake. It just keeps dropping the internet for a few seconds at a time on wi-fi and a wired. Especially noticeable when streaming radio.

So far I have had engineers out twice and both times they said there was an issue and did something.  However it just returns to the issue.  I have tried the Hub 5 in router mode and it still does this. 

I was left with the Hub 2. Can I go back to the Hub 2 and use that in Modem only mode again or will this no longer work or cause issues with my account?

I originally signed up for 200 meg BB which recently had a free increase.  This is plenty fast enough for me and I doubt I use that to its fullest. I have no need for 1GB speeds.  As such will the Hub 2 be ok to go back to in Modem only mode. It is head and shoulders above the hub 5.

30 REPLIES 30

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Technically yes... you ca get the Hub2 reactivated onto you account but you will have to cancel the 1GB upgrade and go back to the 250 package.

How easy it will be to convince them to do that is anyone's guess. Depends how long since the upgrade as to whether you can do that penalty free.

But if the Hub5 is dropping when in modem mode (is that correct?) there may be either a known fault or a problem on your connection.

Check for any “known network faults first - Try in 2 places and report back

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for the reply.

I have not had a 1GB upgrade.  I was just adding that in so to say I would not need it, should it make a difference to using the hub 2 again. I notice a lot of people mention the hub 2 can not cope with speeds over a certain amount. I am on whatever 200 meg was recently upgraded to as the free upgrade.  I think it was something like 230 meg speed or similar, maybe 250 meg.

Thank you for your feedback.  I shall look into connecting the Hub 2 again.  I never had issues with that.  One engineer did say the Hub 5 is not as good in Modem mode and if it carried on I would be better using an older Hub.  The internet connection drops for a second or so a few times a day only happened when I went to the Hub 5,  I have found lots of similar posts from people experiencing the same.  Streaming Tv does not usually stop but does sometimes display a message to say no network.  Radio though seems to stop for a second or two.  

Again thank you for the feedback.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I still use the SH2 in modem mode and it runs 250 Mbps just fine.

If you didnt upgrade then it should be an easier job, but VM are committed to getting all the old hubs off the network. So might still need some good negotiating and a friendly agent - but worth a try and tell them the Hub5 isnt fit for your purposes and will be returned asap !

Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – you may need the Hub serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers and also your account number - although they should still be on your account

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @trekkiebob,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some intermittent connection issues since you upgraded your package to include a Hub 5. What did the engineer advise exactly during the last visit that you had? Did they explain what the issue may be?

To confirm, is this issue happening both on a wired connection and a wireless/Wi-Fi connection?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

trekkiebob
On our wavelength

Hi there

sorry for the delay replying I have been away for a week so not checking messages.

When the engineer came he first showed me a network map of the area outside of my house and showed as it go to my house there were some power issues which he did something about at the cabinet.  When he returned he said if I kept getting these random second drops I should request to use an older hub as they are better at compensating for fluctuating power settings on modem only mode. The HUB 5 in his experience just stops for these odd seconds.  In his opinion and the second engineer that came the hub 2 was the best hub VM had supplied for reliability! I agree it is reliable as the one still in my house was used for the best part of 10 years with no issues.  However I did try running in router mode on the hub 5 for a day and still had the radio drop out out for these odd seconds when streaming. 

These issues happen on ethernet and wifi.  

I have seen lots of posts from other users both on this forum and other sites where people have these issues with the Hub 5. Does not give me faith in this device. A weekly restart when logging into it seems to help for a few days and then it starts again.

I did try connecting the Hub 2 back up in the hope it would work.   The lights came on but I am guessing it is blocked at Mac address level now.

I forgot to add earlier.  I intend to call the number given on the helpful answer from John and see if I can get the Hub 2 activated again.  I can send the hub 5 back then.

Hello trekkiebob.

Hope you are okay.

Thanks for the reply. 

Can we just ask if you have been in touch yet to look at reconnecting the old Superhub2ac?

Gareth_L

Hello Gareth,

Thank you for your reply.

Not yet.  I have had a really busy week and could not face a phonecall just yet.  

I am hoping to do this tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks for the reply on the forums @trekkiebob 🙂

May I ask if you were able to ring in and speak to the team?
if so, how did it go? Were the team able to asssit?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs