cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 4 broken. White light on

Abigoose
Joining in

I'm currently on 1Gig contract with virgin. The WiFi reception is poor. I can't even game without bad lag.

This morning, after telling Virgin how bad it is, they suggested I rebooted my modem.

I did just that. Followed the instructions and now my modem is broken. Straight away when turned on, there's a solid white light. No Internet.

I called back and they told me that now my modem is dead. They said they would book an engineer for tomorrow. Today is friday 3 june. (I'm working from home today so it's really frustrating that I followed their advice and now I have no Internet whatsoever)

When I came off the phone, I checked the app because I wanted to make sure that the engineer was booked. He'd actually booked me for Monday 6th June. Which doesn't work for me as I'm physically in work then.

So not only will I lose a day pay today and Monday but I have no Internet ( which I'm paying £65 a month for JUST Internet) 

You'd think in this day and age that they'd realise how essential broadband is and could get someone to fox it right away. Especially since the steps they told me to do ultimately broke the modem somehow.

Anyway, i just want them to know how unhappy i am with their service. I really should've stuck with sky.

Has anyone been able to fix their Hub 4 router or does a dead router mean literally dead and I need a new one?

Sorry for the long moan!

34 REPLIES 34

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Highly unlikely that a simple reboot of the Hub has borked it.

I thought a dimmed solid white light meant the Hub4 is working normally ?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/virgin-media-wifi-not-working

Have you tried seeing if a known location fault has appeared?

Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The Internet was working but not as fast as I'd like. I was told a simple reboot might solve the problem. I did this and now its not working.

It's a constant white light at all times. No flashing nothing. Even when it's turned off and on again. There's no WiFi at all.

There is no local issues. Its for sure the modem. I've spoken to 3 people from customer services who have said its probably dead. 

I was hoping to find some magic fix as I need the internet for work and can't taken the Monday off too.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You may as well try a pinhole reset - as below - it sometimes brings them back to life.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.

Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your reply.

I just tried what yoy suggested. Unfortunately it didn't work!

I guess there's no fix and I'll have to wait for the engineer:(

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm running out of ideas here. Maybe check that the white VM cable is securely connected at both ends and unkinked and in good condition and have a glance at the box on the wall outside for any obvious damage etc. 

Hi Abigoose,

Sorry to hear this has happened.

The hub would definitely need replacing by a Technician visit. 

Are you still keeping the appointment available for today?

If so, can you please let us know how the visit goes.

Gareth_L

Sunsun
Settling in

Strange... I'm in the exact same situation. I called for slow speeds and followed the trouble shooting steps over the phone. After the call, I found i had no Internet at all now despite the solid white light. When I restart the hub it doesn't blink just goes straight to white...

I could still work with slowspeeds but now I can't work at all...frustrating. 

How did they fix it in the end? 

Hi @Sunsun.

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been having similar issues with your hub. We can understand this is not ideal and want to help. I have been able to access our system and I can see you have already been in contact with our team who have booked a technician appointment to resolve this.

Please let us know how the appointment goes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Same situation here.

There was a power cut at about half past midnight today and since it happened my HUB 4 displays a steady unchanged solid white light. I have contacted customer services and we tried the pinhole reset but absolutely nothing makes the white light disappear. I have been booked for a Engenear visit tomorrow but complementing the main poster frustration. It’s very upsetting nowadays we have to wait over 24 hours to have our broadband fixed. It’s not even possible to buy a replacement modem from a shop same day . Having to relay on my 4G is just a nightmare for those who like me works from home